Search

Weather on Vancouver Island in January?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather on Vancouver Island in January?

Hi
We have been to Vancouver Island a number of times but this is the first time that we will be there in Winter - Mid-January to be specific. We will be in Nanaimo and Victoria. Can anyone tell me what typical weather is for that time of year?
Do I need to bring my clunky serious winter boots and my puffer coat or will lighter wear be enough? I don't intend to do any hikes - just a small amount of outdoor walking around.
I am hoping I can get away with rain gear and warm sweaters or fleece underneath? Any input would be useful. Thanks.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 07:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I am not from BC. Official numbers are here for Nanaimo:

https://weatherspark.com/m/470/1/Ave...Nanaimo-Canada

Two close friends who live just north of Nanaimo say to them it feels about plus 8 and either raining or soon to be raining most of the month.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thx moderator (Duh me)
Thx Xcountry
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 08:49 AM

I live in Victoria and just have a raincoat—I don’t actually own a winter coat or any serious boots. I think you’ll be okay with rain gear and sweaters/fleece.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thx a lot Outwest - exactly what I needed to know!
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 10:14 AM

A few Februaries ago we trusted the Accuweather website for weather in the island. Their prediction, stated a couple months in advance, was that it was going to be an exceptionally mild February. And it was, leading to a truly wonderful vacation on the west coast. We're still pinching ourselves.
Dunno, maybe check that site out, then cross fingers?
Either way, have a great one Semiramis.
I am done. The Tofino tuxedo.
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 08:23 AM

Hi Semiramis. I think your puffer coat will be too heavy and you definitely won't need clunky boots. I live in the Comox Valley about 75 minutes north of Nanaimo by car (we call it mid-island). Besides the predominant rain and sometimes wet snow, the winter West Coast humidity can chill you to the bone. When you're near the water, the wind coming off the ocean intensifies that effect. A lightly lined Goretex (or similar outdoor performance fabric) hooded coat and layering will serve you well. Bring a couple of different thicknesses of lined gloves and light items to keep your neck and ears warm. A good pair of water-resistant shoes will get you through most of the really wet days when you have to be outside.
I hope you enjoy your trip. Being on the Wet Coast is a treat no matter the weather!
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Another big thank you - all useful info! Off to look at Gortex coats etc on-line.. Can anyone recommend comfortable waterproof footwear?
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 04:10 PM

Rain gear for sure, temperatures vary but anywhere from highs of 6 degrees during the day and lows of 1 degree at night. It is the time when we might get a little snow in Nanaimo but usually doesn't stay long and often gone by lunch. Bare in mind this is typical weather and things could be different. Victoria is actually a little warmer than Nanaimo also. Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thx for all the useful info from everyone. It really does help!
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 06:26 PM

Hit and miss. In Parksville area right now I am sitting at -6 in November. We just had a skiff of snow. But next week it could be plus 10 and raining. Rain coat for sure, water proof shoes or boots, gloves, scarf and ear protection. Layers would be my advice because you just never know.
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by live42day
Hit and miss. In Parksville area right now I am sitting at -6 in November. We just had a skiff of snow. But next week it could be plus 10 and raining. Rain coat for sure, water proof shoes or boots, gloves, scarf and ear protection. Layers would be my advice because you just never know.
I have pretty much come to the conclusion that layers will be the way to go. I still have not decided on footwear but my big clunky boots are out.
Thx for comments.
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 01:21 PM

I'm not sure where you are from, and what you already have, but short boots that are reasonably waterproof, such as hiking boots, Bogs or Blundstones will do the trick. If you are downtown, any slushy snow will be shovelled, so you would just deal with puddles and salted sidewalks.

I leave for Victoria/Langford area next week and will wear my Blundstones. It seems every other person wears these. My daughter has a nice pair of Aigle short boots she wears all winter (she lives there); just put on a heavier pair of socks if it is cooler.