weather doesn't look so good!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our big trip to the Canmore/Banff/Calgary area is coming up. Been checking to 10 day forcast for the area, and it looks like showers every day. Question: Should we expect 50's - 60's during the day? What about at night. Trying to decide what to pack is tough. I've told my family, and we are prepared to enjoy all of the beauty of the area anyway, and if we do get decent weather - it will be an unexpected benefit!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:48 AM

On Saturday (July 3rd) my son claimed he saw snow falling when he looked out of the window of his downtown Calgary apartment. (It didn't stick when it hit the ground, though.)

There is only one piece of advice I know to give people who are coming to this part of the world, and that is to bring layers, layers, layers.

It is possible to encounter shorts and T-shirt weather, and it also is possible to encounter snow, however ephemeral it may be.

Banff's average daytime high in July is 71.4 deg F. It's average night time low in July is 45.3 deg F.

If it's raining in Banff, obviously it's going to be lower than 70 deg F, but I don't know exactly how low.

On Saturday, June 26th, we went to Moraine Lake in Banff National Park and Takkakaw Falls in Yoho National Park. It rained on and off.

My mother-in-law and I both wore long underwear under our khaki pants. We also wore long underwear under our cotton turtleneck tops. Over those tops, we wore three-season jackets (hooded jackets consisting of water-proof shells on the outside and fleece lining on the inside). I wore socks and hiking boots, and my MIL wore socks and runners.

We brought our portable barbeque from Calgary and had a picnic lunch in one of the covered picnic shelters at Moraine Lake, and we felt just right in the clothes we were wearing.

My husband wore pretty much the same things as my MIL and I did, except that he didn't wear long underwear. He thinks it's wimpish to wear long underwear in summer, and he never does, regardless of how ugly the summer weather may be.

My MIL and I didn't care if we technically were wimps. We preferred to be comfortable than to be heroic.

Note that Calgary's average high in July is 73.2 deg F, an its average low is 48.9 deg F. As is the case in the mountains, the temperature on a given day can be lower than the monthly average (as evidenced by the fact that my son witnessed snow falling on July 3rd).

No matter how hot a Calgary day has been, it almost always gets cool enough in the evenings that one needs a sweater.

When it comes to fending off rain, a hooded poncho that reaches down to mid calf can be pretty useful in keeping most of one's clothing dry. Alternatively, a pair of nylon shell pants that one wears over khakis or long underwear can be useful too.

Really serious hikers wear gaiters to keep their ankles dry. They aren't necessary for casual walking, though.

An umbrella can be useful in Calgary, but is next to useless in the mountains, in my experience. The gaps amongst the trees in the forest aren't large enough to fit an open umbrella.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:30 AM

I suppose that it all depends on what one is used to - weatherwise, I mean.

I rarely wear long johns even in the wintertime (unless it is way way below zero) .

The thing to remember is that, if you are moving, you will feel warm, and if you are sitting in one spot, you will feel colder, no matter what you are wearing.

Also - 10 day forecasts are notoriously inaccurate, especially for regions that have as few weather stations as the wilderness areas of the Rockies (compared to say, the urban areas of southern Ontario). Even five day forecasts tend to be less accurate the further in the future that they are predicting.

So keep your fingers crossed and hope for beautiful sunny weather - we are certainly due for a change after the last week of rain !!!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. will pack layers and keep our fingers crossed for a few sunny days.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Hi jedimac
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. We are overdue for some sunshine here. I checked the forecast also, from what I saw they are predicting (crystal balls come to mind) highs of 21-25?C (70-75?F) and 40-60% chance of rain. For the mountainous area of Alberta, that's not so bad.

Usually when they say 40-60% chance of rain, it is just overcast but certainly not miserable out. The evenings will be chilly though. We were in Jasper last summer and during the day, it was 30?+ (85?F+) but when the sun goes down even with the hot day time temps, we needed long pants and sweaters.
Good Luck!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 02:09 PM

The silly looking question marks were supposed to be degree symbols.
quot;>
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Atilla - Thanks for the tips for the evenings. Just went to Walmart for a couple more ponchos!!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:01 AM

We just got back(last night) from the Canadian Rockies.

The weather in Banff and Jasper was cool at night...40's and the days were cool ...prob mid to high 50's . Rain off and on.

The number one thing to bring seem to be a gore-tex type jacket..everyone had them.

Judy...long underwear ...really?
It was fabulous hiking weather (except when raining). We hiked to the tea house at Lake Louise wearing shorts. It felt cool at first but then warms up quickly as you walk.

Because of intermittent rain, we wore long pants while hiking in Maligne Canyon.

The locals were all complaining about the "fall weather". I think the warmest it got for us was in the high 60's as we were leaving. They are expecting warmer weather this week.