Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Banff & Jasper Gondolas/Trams....which one or both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Banff a week from Friday and also heading up to JAsper.

Should we plan on doing both gondolas or would you reccomend one over the other.

Also, any suggestions as to whether to go in the am or early evening for best viewing.
If we go in the morning, we will probably plan on doing some hiking.

THanks
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:05 AM

We'll be traveling to Banff in early August. From what I've read, the Jasper tram is better than the Banff one, but if bad weather is a factor, wait and go on whichever one is nearest at the time.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:24 AM

Each of these two "rides" has their own charms.
The Banff Gondola to the top of Sulphur Mtn. is shorter, and in a small gondola that seats four. At the upper terminal there is a gift shop and cafeteria, and a walk along the top ridge of the mountain. The walkway used to be on rock etc., but now a boardwalk has been built, so it is easy to stroll to the summit and old weather station. The views are to Banff townsite and to the Bow River Valley.

Jasper Tramway has "tramcars" that hold about 10 to 15 people (that's only my estimate), you stand in the car during on your trip while a guide provides chatty informative comment. At the upper terminal (as in Banff), there is also a gift shop and a cafeteria. However, the "walk" to the summit is not on a nice boardwalk, but uphill on the rock and dirt. It's worth the breathlessness though !! From both the upper terminal and the summit of The Whistlers, you can see Jasper townsite and the Athabasca River Valley and the ranges of mountains to the west including (on a clear day) Mt. Robson, the highest peak in the Rockies 80 km (50 miles) away.

Personally I prefer Jasper Tramway - I think that it is more spectacular. Others may disagree.

From the point of the view, mid-morning may be the best time for photography, although anytime till late afternoon should be fine since in both cases the main views are to the north (so the sun will be behind you).

Keep in mind that there is a real temperature differential between the valley below and the mountain top. Bring a jacket or at least a very warm sweater (a windbreaker would be ideal). Jasper Tramway goes to a higher elevation so it is colder there. And if you intend to walk to the top of The Whistlers in Jasper, wear appropriate footgear (not sandals or flip-flops!!).

Enjoy the views!!!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:41 PM

The Jasper Tramway is really spectacular -- I work at a hotel in Jasper, and (on a clear day), most guests seem to think the Jasper view is better - you get a panorama of several different valleys. The two are so different, though, I would do both.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

We took the Jasper Tram and really enjoyed the spectacular view.