Reload this Page >

Wanted: Trip tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Sal

We're planning a trip to Nova Scotia June 8-15. We'll have a rental car so we plan on mainly playing it by ear and exploring as much as we can. Any suggestions for "must see and do" things? Is that time of year saturated with tourists or will we have any problems finding accomodations if we just "wing" it? Also, can anyone suggest a place to stay near Halifax Int'l Airport? Thanks for the input!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Jo

Sal, I have been to Nova Scotia twice, both times midsummer, and did not find it to be extremely crowded either time. Somehow, we never got to Halifax, so can't comment on this city. <BR>Cape Breton is my favorite area of NS, but with only one week, I would suggest possibly a Yarmouth- Wolfville-Halifax-Yarmouth loop, which will give you a varied and interesting tour.<BR>As for accommodations, I did prebook for July and August, but I think that in June you might be o.k. winging it.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:59 AM
wendy

There are only two hotels near the Airport in Halifax:<BR><BR>The Airport Hotel 1-800-667-3333<BR>They offer free Shuttle to and from the airport which is across the Highway<BR><BR>The Inn on the Lake (902) 861-3480<BR>This hotel is further away but much better!! Only 15 minutes from Halifax and about 5 to the airport.<BR><BR>June shouldn't be too busy here. It usually picks up near the end of the month and through the summer it gets very crowded.<BR><BR>Call and order your Doers and Dreamers Guide at 1-800-565-0000<BR><BR>Hope this helps!!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:49 AM
René

Oh, Nova Scotia is such a wonderful place! I went two years ago in late June. We stayed in Halifax for Canada Day (which was exciting) and then spent some time in Prince Edward Island and finished the trip down the Bay of Fundy side of the island to see the tides.<BR><BR>I stayed at the Lakeview Inn (i think that was the name) which is a drive from the waterfront but a nice place to stay. Definitely visit the waterfront in Halfax. Lots of stuff to do, lots of eats and lots of friendly people. Peggy's Cove is a must. Tim Horton's donuts rule, too. Do that at least once!<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip! Have lots of fun!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Sal

Many thanks to Jo, Wendy, and Rene for your advice. Looking forward to seeing N.S. this summer.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Jim Rosenberg

You'll have a great time and really, you should be just in front of the largest numbers of tourists who will begin showing up in larger numbers after the 15th. Still, there is plenty of room. (We were there during the Tall Ships festivities and that is probably as thick as the visitor traffic could probably get in Halifax). We've gone the rental car route a couple of times and that is exactly the way I would do it again. Here are a few notes I've posted online:<BR><BR>http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...JournalID=1984 <BR><BR>Do be sure to get that Doers & Dreamers Guide that Wendy mentions. It's invaluable. Happy Contrails!