Want a Toronto hotel with new rooms.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, please guide me to a 4-5 star Toronto hotel with really nice new or recently refurbished rooms/bathrooms.
I'm flexible on location as long as my room is clean, quiet, and well appointed.
I'm done with fancy lobbies only to find dumpy/worn rooms and old bathrooms once you go upstairs.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM
BAK

There's a new hotel with a name something like Hazelton that I'm sure someone will tell you more about.

Excellent location, expensive, and new.

(In Yorkville, near the Four Seasons)

BAK
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BAK
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM

Also try the Soho
http://www.metropolitan.com/soho/

and the Pantages
http://www.pantageshotel.com/

The one BAK is recommending is the Hazelton Hotel
www.thehazeltonhotel.com

I agree with you, Jaya. I prefer nice, new modern hotels with contemporary decor both in the lobby AND my room!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:15 PM

le germain as well - better than soho and pantages...

eat at one if you stay at the hazelton... mark mcewan's new place - fancy patio, great (albeit expensive) food and drink

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Try this website you can't go wrong here.

http://www.wealthandfreedompackage.com/Travel.php
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Just curious, JMWF, if you've stayed at all three -- the Pantages, the Soho and Le Germain and why you prefer LG. I'm not disagreeing with you but while I haven't stayed there myself, I did visit someone who did and I thought the decor was surprisingly bland. Of course, I didn't sleep in the bed or use any of the amenities, so I can't speak about the service etc. so that's why I'm asking. I always forget about Le Germain because it's a bit hidden away.

Can you compare the three hotels a bit?
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Oh, and nated? there's no commercial activity allowed on these forums.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM

goddesstogo

i must admit i've only stayed at le germain and the soho - the pantages i looked at living there when i moved to toronto - while it is nice, the location isn't great so i discount it because of that. i would be uphappy staying there as a tourist i think - much to times square'ish for me.

the soho was nice - but i felt the decore was pretty cheap given the room prices... the service was again just ok. it felt as though it was being run by a rich kid as an afterthought (which it is)...

i find le germain a little more authentic - better service, higher quality furnishings and we had a much nicer room... its understated, but i think, really nice.

great bar on the main floor for guests as well.

the one difference between the three that would get me to vote otherwise, is that the best views are in order, pantages, soho and then finally le germian...

i like le germain's location the best as well...

hope that helps - interested to hear your views as well.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 07:36 AM

What about the Cosmopolitan on Colborne Street...it's advertising that it's the only either Toronto or Canadian hotel that made some list compiled by Conde Nast of luxury hotels - oh, I just googled and find that the honour is from 2006. I didn't even know the hotel was there in 2006.

http://www.cosmotoronto.com/pressreleases_hot_list.asp
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 07:46 AM

I live in Toronto so I rarely get to stay in hotels here, but I do like to be able to refer out-of-town visitors to good places. I can't really give any reviews from personal experience, though.

My friends stayed at the Soho on their honeymoon and quite liked it but thought that the restaurant (Senses?) was too expensive for the experience. If I remember correctly, she used the spa (they do have a spa, right?) and enjoyed it.

When the Pantages opened it was getting great reviews for the rooms, etc., but very poor reviews for service. That sort of got it falling off my list so I don't know if service has improved now. It's location is a bit Time Sqare-ish, especially now that Dundas Square is in full swing, but I don't think that would put me off as long as the room was quiet.

Le Germain is a little more off the beaten track -- though not far off. I do like the fact that the front door is not on a main street, but the Entertainment District is getting a bit of a rowdy reputation now. I realize that Le Germain is a few blocks south of the club streets but it's still a factor for me.

When my relatives come in the fall, of these three, I'd probably go with the Pantages (if the service reviews have improved) just for the convenience of having them right on top of the subway.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 07:51 AM

Gee, Sally, I'm around that area a lot and I've never noticed that hotel or even heard of it!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM

It's a funny spot, just off Yonge - tall, skinny building - the Designer Guys did a suite there.

We spotted it one day when heading to PJ O'Brien's. Models were posing in the lobby.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM

hi, i spent 4 very quite and comfortable nights at Pantages, mid June. The "rooms" are practically small bachelor suite w/ w/d and full kitchen minus a big oven.
nicely fitted out in a tailored urban mod mode. no complaints about service; didn't need much; rooms kept spotless just for being polite they mooved me up to the 15th floor w/ a view over the eaton centre to old city hall

cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies so far
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 04:48 AM

I've been looking for a hotel myself. I wasn't real impressed with some of the Hazleton reviews on Trip Advisor and those people HAVE stayed there!
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM

I just discovered that the INtercontinental (on Bloor at least) has rooms at half price if you pay in advance. That means their $295 room is $147 or so - quite a good deal for T.O.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:19 AM

That's a great deal, anatole! Is that limited to weekends or weekdays?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Just back from long weekend...chose Four Seasons for the stay 3 for 2 rate. Not updated colorwise but spotlessly clean, wonderful service, and comfy beds. Location was good also.