Walking tour of Gros Morne

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking tour of Gros Morne

A few questions:
a. Can you recommend a company which does walking/hiking tours of Gros Morne?
b. Is there a public transportation option which would work well from St. Johns to Gros Morne?
Thank you.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM

I think you need to clarify (a)--are you looking for hikes around the National Park, or up Gros Morne mountain? For the first, I would try Gros Morne Adventures.
http://www.grosmorneadventures.com/
This is the link to the Parks Canada info for independent hikes: http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nl/grosmor...ee-hiking.aspx

Well, the short answer to (b) is "not really". There are no trains on the island, and the only cross-island bus service (DRL bus lines) runs once daily, and the nearest it would take you is the town of Deer Lake, nearly an hour from Rocky Harbour, or about 30 min. from the park entrance. There used (I haven't lived on the west coast in a while)to be local buses that went either to Woody Point (Martin's Transportation, I think) or Rocky Harbour (Shears Bus Line). I don't know if they're still in business, or when they run.
Hopefully someone who has tried this more recently will appear.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your very helpful response. I am sorry I was not clearer in my post. I was looking for a walking/hiking tour of the park. I had found a link to Gros Morne Adventures and written them so your endorsement was just what I needed. Their response to me was most comprehensive. I guess for me the biggest issue will be getting there. The flights are very expensive and not conveniently scheduled so my work is cut out for me.
Kodi put me on to Gros Morne and now I have to see it...
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 03:56 PM

Hi cmcfong - last summer there was a shuttle service (van I think) that did regular daily runs from Deer Lake to Rocky Harbour & back. I think it was called the "430 Shuttle" (you take route 430 to get there) or something like that. You could try googling for the shuttle service to see if they plan to run this summer. Unfortunately though, Gros Morne is really spread out and it would still be difficult to get around, unless you are planning to backpack or something like that....
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

thanks, Katrina. I will check it out. If I go with the tour they will handle my transportation needs in the park.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 07:53 PM

There's a naval shuttle across Bonne Bay between Norris Point and Woody Point. I took it from Woody Point and it was like a mini boat tour complete with three live songs. I met some people last year who said the shuttle wasn't in operation in early june. Something to check.

There were a taxi in Woody Point that would "bring me anywere in the park for 10$", although I suspect he wouldn't have gone all the way around Bonne Bay. He brought me to the Green Gardens trailhead and arranged a pick-up three days later. He said regurlarly taxied people from the naval shuttle to the Tableland trailhead.

There's probably a similar service in Woody Point or Rocky Harbour.

The Green Gardens trail was great. I stayed two nights to camp and relax (was on a bicycle tour) but you can walk to the coast and back on dayhike. Bring a good wind jacket.

I did see people with a guide on Gros Morne Mountain.

Pictures of the Green Gardens:
www.borealphoto.com/keyword/green%20gardens
And Gros Morne Mountain trail, which is a lot more difficult:
http://www.borealphoto.com/keyword/s...laghan%20trail
Why not all of Gros Morne park:
http://www.borealphoto.com/keyword/p...20morne%20park
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Erick, love your photos. Thanks for the tips!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 03:22 PM

Hi nfldbeothuk.

cmcfong, I'm pretty sure Gros Morne Adventures is the company we used when we went sea kayaking and we had a wonderful time. They were recommended by the tourist office in the park.

Just my two cents, but I think you really would need a car. There are so many different hikes,and you'd need to get around the area, unless you did find a tour company you liked. But I don't think it would be necessary. You could easily plan your day hikes with the excellent help of the tourist office in the park.Being there without a car would be similar to being in Banff area or Smokey Mountains without a car. You'd be stuck trying to get to the start of the hikes.

Driving from St.John's in one day is tiring, so you'd be better off flying into Deer Lake or Corner Brook, even though it would cost an arm and a leg. That is, unless you also had time to see some of the Avalon Peninsula while in the St. John's area.

Good luck with your planning.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Well, thank you, my friend. I appreciate that. You are most helpful!
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM

I agree with kodi, you're going to have a very bad time indeed if you stay in the Bonne Bay area without a car. But it's true that it's a very long drive from St. Johns to Gros Morne, and most of the rental car companies charge you for mileage, which would really add up in that trip. So, if you're not interested in making stops along the way, it could be helpful to figure out another way to get from St. Johns to, say, Deer Lake, and then rent a car in Deer Lake.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the suggestions, thank you. If I travel alone I will have to join a tour group. I don't feel comfortable hiking alone, particularly in unfamiliar areas. The company itineraries I have read include transportation within the park, so my only issue would be getting there and I would like to do that as cheaply as possible. Should I have a companion I will rent a car and do the hikes on my own.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 02:45 PM

I was in Gros Morne without a car and I had a great time. I did have a bicycle though. I've been to Banff and Jasper without a car too and had a good time as well.

Gros Morne Adventures has good page on how to get around: http://www.grosmorneadventures.com/gm_getaround.html

If all else fails, just stick your thumb. I got rides even with a loaded touring bike.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, Erick. It's been close to fifty years since I even considered hitching......