Reload this Page >

Visiting Halifax, Sydney and Corner Brook

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 11:50 AM
Parrot Mom

We wlll be cruising to those cities in early to mid October..we will only have one day in each area unfortunately, is there anything "not to miss" in that time period.

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 07:55 AM
Rob

Hi, can't speak to Sydney & Corner Brook but can give you some tips for Halifax. If you have a full day (say 8 hours) I would hire a cab for a half day for a quick Peggy's Cove and city tour. Then spend the rest of the day walking around the downtown. Downtown highlights not to be missed: Spring Garden Rd (Shopping and people watching), Historic Properties (nice old building and a good look at the waterfront), Maritime Museum Of the Atlantic, Citadel Hill (historic fortress) and the Public Garden (victorian gardens although may not be the nicest in Oct.) <BR>If you have any specific questions feel free to drop me a line. Rob

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 03:57 PM
jean

My husband and I stayed in Corner Brook 4 days about 3 years ago. if you can rent a car don't miss Gros Morne Park. Beautiful drive. Not much else to do there. It's a ski resort so not much to do before it snows. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 08:58 AM
Mary

I just took a cruise to Halifax two weeks ago. On the cruise ship, we were told about all the different tours that we could take. We chose to go to Peggy's Cove in the morning (a 3 1/2 hour tour). It was worth it - it's very pretty there. We only had a little more than an hour in Peggy's Cove and would like to have stayed a bit longer (which is why renting a car or hiring a cab might be a good idea). Anyway, there were other tours to Peggys Cove that also included either a lobster boil or salmon boil. The people that we talked to afterwards that had gone on these tours said that they wished they had gone on our tour. When we got back to Halifax, we were able to walk around and find the restaurant of our choice, instead of being limited (Salty's was our choice - very good.) We mainly just walked around and went shopping in Halifax. It's a very nice city. Enjoy!

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 04:31 AM
peb

While in Sydney if you can make it to Fortress Louisbourg it would be well worth the journey. One of the world's largest restorations of a 17th century community. Within the Fortress is a complete community from the military storehouses to the baker to the church to the commander's quarters to the blacksmith. The recreation of life is complete with extremely knowledgeable and experienced "actors" who play the role of a villager (these aren't pimple-faced teenagers). It's about a 30 minute drive south of Sydney -- perhaps the park has a shuttle. My words don't do the place justice. We loved it when we were there. Check out these two web sites. http://parkscanada.pch.gc.ca/parks/n...ouisbourge.htm <BR>and <BR>http://fortress.uccb.ns.ca <BR> <BR>