Victoria trip report 4/28

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, thanks to all who answered questions here for me during the last month. We hit Victoria at the start of some beautiful weather -- perfect for walking. We came from a long, icy winter in AK so we were thrilled. We caught the off season rate at the Empress which had incredible staff. Lots of places say they have good cumstomer service. The Empress actually does it. We saw Butchart Gardens in full bloom (on a Thursday). My husband was leary, but he commented that it was such a big place he didn't feel it was crowded at all. Also went to Hatley Gardens. We took the water taxi across to a restaurant and accidentally ended up on a harbor tour. The harbor tour itself would not be worth it. Caveat to Americans. You're paying .75 on the $1, but they add on about 20% in taxes, so you have to mail stuff back to them -- like doing the vat refund in Europe. We also enjoyed the 1-year-old winery on the road to Butchart Gardens. Not only was it a nice little spot (also offering food) but they had some of the best wine of our trip. Another thing I didn't like about Sooke. They declined at first to show us a wine menu --wanted to 'recommend'. True to form the recommendation was the more expensive wine. All in all however, a good trip, easy area to drive around.
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the report. I will be there in a few days. What was the name of the winery? Were they white wines? Thanks for the info.
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the report!

Could you go into a bit more what the food at Sooke Harbour House was like?
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Yes! - please describe the menu.
The last time we were there, the menu had plenty of fresh fish and seafood (which I found delicious); but I guess not everyone likes fish and seafood.
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Let's see, I think the winery was called "Victoria winery". It was the only one on the road to the Butchart Gardens. Yes, they had both white and red. I guess in order to do justice to the menu at Sooke I have to mention that neither of us usually order halibut or salmon when out to dinner because we have a freezer full at home. I quizzed my husband about Sooke menu and he wasn't much help as he opted for duck too. He had oyster appetizer and said it was good. Thought he also remembered veal on the menu. I wouldn't recommend Spinnakers for a special anniversary meal but for casual dining it was our favorite. One can take a water taxi from out front of the Empress.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:48 PM

Enjoyed reading your nice trip report. Spouse and I too love to visit Victoria. It was on a one-day visit that we vowed to return, and we did. Stayed for the month of August a few years back. We rented a charming "charactor" home in Oak Bay. While there, we ate out at various restaurants and one was the Sooke Harbor House which did nothing for us. Oh, the setting is beautiful right on the water, but we had such a nasty waiter that day serving lunch he totally ruined what was to be a nice experience. Don't think we would ever return there again. Butchart Gardens is a delight. Don't remember the winery. Always fun to visit the gardens, though. Empress Hotel is very nice. On another visit, we stayed there, vacationed 9 days. Well, guess I could go on and on about beautiful Victoria. Did you happen to eat a fish dinner at Barb's on the wharf?
Regards, Francie