Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Victoria-Pacific Rim National Park In a Day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 12:48 AM
Ian

Is it possible to drive from Victoria to The pacific Rim National Park and return to Victoria in a long day? Is it worth the trip? Any recommended route (we are travelling between Christmas and New Year and using Victoria as a base). Is the Strathcona Provincial Park worth a look also? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for your reply!

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 07:31 AM
Jackie

We did this trip years ago. The roads may have improved. It took around 3 hours each way. We went through the island, I don't think there's any way to do it along the coast. So it's not really that scenic. It's worth the drive, but I don't know if I'd feel that way if I had to turn around and go back again 3 hours later. It would make for a pretty exhausting day. Good luck!

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 02:59 PM
blain

You can make it from Victoria to Pacific Rim National Park and back in one day but I wouldn't suggest it in the winter. Each way would be at least 4-5 hours on the road and there is only one highway that will take you there. <BR>You would probably be better off to make a trip to Parksville/Qualicum Beach then a daytrip to the Pacific Rim. <BR>It is definitely worth the trip if you can break it up a bit.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 12:15 AM
April

I agree with Blain - it is worth it and it will take 4-5 hours to get there from Victoria. I think staying in Parksville or Qualicum Beach is a fine idea too. There are many places with views of the ocean such as Tigh Na Mara (log cabins or condo-type suites) or Grey Crest (modern style). <BR> <BR>Make sure you have chains or cables in your car just in case. <BR>

Old Oct 10th, 1999, 06:24 AM
sheri doyle

I just returned from my sixth or seventh trip to Tofino (the town just north of Pacific Rim park) and there's no way this could be done in a day! As others have noted, it will take about five hours each way to drive out there from Victoria. In winter, stormwatching is a very popular activity in this area--it's quite impressive to be out walking on the beaches (warmly dressed, of course!) and watch a storm approach from over the Pacific. If you can take a couple days from your stay in Victoria, and enjoy being out beach-walking in blustery weather, then you should definitely go. <BR> <BR>I also visited Strathcona Park for the first time on this trip and can't wait to go back and spend more time--it's gorgeous, the hiking trails look fantastic, and there is NO ONE THERE (at least not on a Tuesday in October)! However, unless you are skiers or snowshoers, you probably wouldn't want to visit in the winter. <BR> <BR>Sheri Doyle <BR>Pacific Northwest Journeys <BR>Seattle WA