Reload this Page >

Cape Breton -- Do it!

Search

Cape Breton -- Do it!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 07:28 AM
arjay

Cape Breton -- Do it!

I guess it's getting a little late in the season now, but we're just back from a trip to Cape Breton and I can't recommend it highly enough! The scenery along the Cabot Trail is just spectacular. Also the Bras d'Or Lakes area. And just to top it all off -- the local McDonald's feature McLobster sandwiches -- with real lobster! We took the high-speed cat back from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor...not sure I'd go out of my way to do it again. Ours ran about 45 mins late and I gather from the boat chatter among regulars that that is typical. Be happy to try and answer any questions.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 07:31 AM
arjay

Ooops. Don't mean to imply that the heighth of dining on Cape Breton or NS is limited to McDonalds - there are plenty of good restaurants, of course. But the novelty of finding a "lobster roll" at McD's (for $4) that was as good as, or better than, some we paid up to $8-9 for, really blew us away. Oh, for some affordable lobster out here in the heartland!

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 03:27 PM
Bob Brown

I liked the area too. We stayed in Cheticamp, an Acadian fishing village, and a couple of other places. Also, if you visit the area, and have the time, go to the fortress at Louisbourg. It tells history from another angle: the French side. <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 06:14 AM
Ann

We too just returned from NS and thought it was lovely (though we missed the McLobster)! And yes, Louisburg was fascinating. Wished we'd allowed more time there to do it justice. If you like to hike: we hiked several different days along the Cabot Trail. Trails were good, but fairly popular. There is an area around the Mabou mines with very good hiking, well maintained trails by a local hiking club. The gas station and the general store in Mabou have the maps. And we thought the CAT was great -- comfortable, fairly decent food served on board, and saved a ton of time and driving.

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 06:37 AM
arjay

We ran short of time and weren't able to do Louisburg - tho I had really wanted to. Hope there's a next time!