Reload this Page >

Victoria or Vancouver

Search

Victoria or Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Suzanne

Victoria or Vancouver

My daughter and I will be traveling from Seattle Friday afternoon to Sunday evening. Should we take in as much of Victoria as we can, or spend some of the time in Vancouver also?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Cindy

That's a tough call, actually - both places are very much worth seeing. But I think, if it were me, that I'd rent a car and explore Vancouver Island (where Victoria is) beyond just the Victoria area. There's a lot to see, and you don't really have a huge amount of time. Travelling to/from Vancouver would take up a big part of the day. <BR>You might also want to consider one or two of the Gulf Islands. Salt Spring is only half an hour away. What are some of your interests?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Suzanne

Hi Cindy,<BR>Thanks for the response! I am renting a car in Seattle. My daughter and I are looking for scenic drives, short/ beautiful hikes, quaint towns, window shopping, and quaint little places to dine, at a relaxed pace. Your suggestion of staying on the island is a great one! Thanks for the future feedback

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Cindy

I think you'll love the Island. Drive up towards Tofino (you won't make it up all the way - it's about 4 or 5 hours, but that's the direction you'll want to go) and stop in Chemainus to see the murals. There's also an older part of Chemainus, beyond the tourist "strip" that has some attractive older homes, gardens, and a small, pretty beach. I'd also stop in Cathedral Grove for a short hike. The trees there are huge and gorgeous. The view from Malahat is lovely too. Then you could go up to Coombs, where there's a butterfly garden (mind you, there's a nice one in the Victoria area right near Butchart Gardens too) which is worth seeing. But you might also want to consider the Salt Spring Island Saturday market. Have a look at it on their website - just search Salt Spring Market and it will turn up somewhere. The ferry ride is short and very pleasant.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Suzanne

Hi Cindy,<BR>Ahhh...I am already starting to relax thinking of all of the wonderful places that you've described. <BR>I've checked out www.saltspringmarket.com/ Do you suggest taking the car on the island?<BR>Thanks so much for your suggestions!<BR>Suzanne

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Matt

Suzanne-<BR><BR>I took the drive from Seattle to Vancouver about 4-5 years ago. I spent the afternoon on Vancouver Island...their is some nice hiking and great places for photos. I remember distinctly the restaurant on the island called "The Fish House." GREAT food and a very nice atmosphere...an old home surrounded be trees with geese walking on the lawn...loved it!<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Robyn

Matt, are you sure the Fish House isn't in Stanley Park, in Vancouver?<BR><BR>That's the only Fish House located in a nice old house with trees surrounding it (with the chance of geese walking on the lawn) that I can think of. <BR><BR>http://www.fishhousestanleypark.com/aboutus.html<BR><BR>

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Cindy

Hi, Suzanne - yes, you'd need to take the car to Salt Spring. The ferry docks at Fulford Harbour, which is about a 20-minute drive to Ganges where the market is. It's very easy to get there (just follow everybody else, along the Fulford-Ganges Road!)and it's an enjoyable, pleasant drive. Once you're there, you might enjoy just driving around the island a bit before you head back to Victoria. Incidentally, you might see some signs advertising a market in Fulford - don't be distracted by them, since the one in Ganges is really the one you want; the Fulford one, with all due respect, isn't worth bothering about.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Suzanne

Thanks Robyn, Matt, and especially Cindy for all of your great ideas and input! I really appreciate it

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Coco

Suzanne, Both places are great places to visit, each have their own charm, but think Victoria might be your best choice given your short time schedule.<BR>For a nice lunch drive over to Mattick's Wood in Cordova Bay. This is nearer to Swartz Bay where the ferry docks. There are a few neat little shops and a nice casual outdoor restaurant. Also, just down the street is a restaurant McCarren's (?) where you are seated outside on patio overlooking beach of driftwood and water. Very pleasant. Another rest. suggestion would be the Oak Bay Beach Hotel...lunch at the Snug. This, too, is an outside patio. For breakfast, Blethering Place and/or lunch/dinner at the Oak Bay Marina. The latter are located in charming Oak Bay. Enjoy.<BR><BR>Regards, Coco