Reload this Page >

Victoria hotels?

Search

Victoria hotels?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Lisa

Victoria hotels?

We are planning a trip to Victoria June 12-16 (we have an 8-year-old). Do you have any recommendations for a reasonably priced but clean hotel in walking distance to local attractions? We won't have a car, and we're arriving on the Victoria Clipper from Seattle. Thanks!

Old May 20th, 2001, 05:03 PM
April

Admiral Hotel, Embassy, Ramada Huntingdon Manor, and Royal Scot Suite Hotel are a few within luggage rolling distance of the Clipper. The Royal Scot has kitchens if you wanted to avoid eating out every day. A good-sized grocery store (Thrifty's) is a few blocks away down Menzies Street.

Old May 21st, 2001, 01:13 PM
Lisa

Thanks, April. I saw a few more on the internet and wondered if you or anyone else had any advice on them: Executive House Hotel, Best Western (Carlton Plaza and Inner Harbour), Victoria Regent, and the Dominion Hotel. We're willing to pay a little more for quality and creature comforts (hopefully under the $240CDN range), but we don't know if the higher priced hotels are that much better anyway.

Old May 21st, 2001, 01:27 PM
sheri

I'd say the BW Inner Harbour and the Ramada Huntingdon are probably the best of the lot that's been mentioned so far, price and niceness-wise. The Victoria Regent is very nice, but I would imagine it's quite a bit pricier than the others. Another one to try is the Harbour Towers, which has one-bedroom suites. <BR> <BR>

Old May 21st, 2001, 06:21 PM
April

Executive House Hotel looks OK although it's a bit more in town. For their downtown location I would avoid the Carlton Plaza and especially the Dominion. <BR> <BR>The Victoria Regent is probably nice. Float planes dock right behind it. I would only stay there if I could get a room in the back overlooking the harbour. <BR> <BR>What about Laurel Point? You've stayed there and liked it, haven't you Sheri? There is a lovely footpath from it to the harbour if you don't mind a bit of walking.

Old May 21st, 2001, 07:27 PM
Lisa

Thanks again for the feedback, April. I think we've narrowed it down to 2: Ramada Huntingdon Manor, and Royal Scot Suite Hotel. Which one would you recommend between the two? I went to Frommer's website, and they recommend the Royal Scot but not the Ramada. I think I'd pay the extra for the Royal Scot if it were nicer and had more amenities.

Old May 21st, 2001, 08:42 PM
April

I don't know. I have visited two sets of relatives who stayed at the Royal Scot. It seemed quite comfortable - much like an apartment. In fact, I believe it once was an apartment block that was renovated. They have a restaurant which I remember as being pricy. <BR> <BR>I have never seen a room in the Huntingdon so I can't really compare. The hotel has a charming setting on the water side. It seems to be connected to the Gatsby Mansion next door, so patrons eat at either place. I have had ok and not-so-ok food & service there. <BR> <BR>I'm assuming the Huntingdon doesn't have kitchen suites but some of their north-facing rooms may have views of the harbour. <BR> <BR>It might boil down to a choice between a view and a kitchen.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:42 AM
Lisa

I think you're right. I have just one more question: I know that both hotels offer non-smoking rooms, but do you know if either have a non-smoking policy in the lobby or restaurant areas? Our son is asthmatic, and I don't quite know what to expect in Victoria as far as the smoking thing goes. I'm in California where smoking is not allowed in any public buildings, including bars, restaurants, etc. I know we can't expect every place to be like that, but we just want to know what to expect. Thanks for all of your help!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 09:02 AM
April

Victoria has banned smoking in most indoor areas which should include hotel lobbies I would think. You certainly should not find smoking in any Victoria restaurant. Still, you might want to email them to be sure. Try: [email protected] and [email protected]

Old May 22nd, 2001, 11:40 AM
Lisa

Thanks, April! That's great news!!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 09:24 PM
April

I had another thought, just to confuse the issue - The Days Inn on the Harbour. It sounds like you might be able to get a kitchen and a view there. I would check on the construction next door though. <BR> <BR>http://www.daysinnvictoria.com/home.html

Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:25 AM
Lisa

Thanks, April. I booked the room at the Royal Scot last night. I got a rate of $129 CDN for a 1-bedroom suite with 2 queen beds. I'm very happy with that! They're having what she called an "Island Special" right now. Thanks again for all of your help. We're looking forward to our trip!

Old May 23rd, 2001, 09:28 AM
l

Would you happen to know the Royal Scot's web site address?

Old May 23rd, 2001, 05:20 PM
April

That sounds pretty good, Lisa. <BR> <BR>The web site is: <BR>http://www.royalscot.com/ <BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 11:28 PM
Ladybug

Topping this for Roxanne, who should note the website for the Royal Scot is www.royalscot.com -- per April.<BR><BR>