Vancouver with children

Mar 2nd, 2000, 07:41 PM
Carol

Vancouver with children

We are first time travellers from Australia and will be in Vancouver in September for about 4 dayd. Can anyone suggest moderately priced accommodation, large enough for 2 adults and 2 children (10 & 7).Can anyone suggest an itinerary for us while we are there?

thanks for any help

Mar 3rd, 2000, 06:19 AM
Angela

For an itinerary (some of this requires a car): Take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Nanimo (sp?) and drive down to Victoria. The ferry trip would be great for the kids - they can stand outside and watch for whales (not likely, but they don't have to know that). This can be done in one day - but it may be a long one for the kids. For Vancouver - Stanley Park is a sure thing - you can walk all around the park or go inside to different ponds and even a zoo. Head to Gas Town for the Steam Clock on Water Street - the area around it is not great, but Water St. is very interesting. You may be able to go whale watching, not certain the season for it. Go up Grouse Mnt. - a cable car to the top for an amazing view of the whole area and, I believe, family activities at the top.

Sorry - I can't help with accommodation - always stay with friends when we go. Do check out Stephos (sp?) a Greek restuarant on Denman (I believe) excellent prices, great food, family place - call ahead for reservations or you'll be waiting in line for an hour.

Mar 3rd, 2000, 09:17 PM
April

You might enjoy walking along the English Bay beach and taking the little ferry ride over to Granville Island - a funky sort of shopping area where you can eat ice cream outside while looking at the city and watching the marine activity. The kids might like the Capilano suspension bridge (although it would be nicer without the tacky-tourist junk around it).

The only hotel I've stayed at recently in Vancouver is the Lord Stanley right by Stanley Park. Our room had a separate bedroom, full kitchen (grocery store not far away), small den, ironing board, etc., and it was very clean.

Mar 4th, 2000, 08:47 PM
April

I just talked to someone who took his family to the Residence Inn by Marriott Hotel. Cost about $100 Can. (maybe would be more in Sept.?); included kitchenette.

http://residenceinn.com/YVRRI/

Mar 5th, 2000, 04:56 AM
Pat

I think the trip to Nanaimo then down to Victoria might be a bit much with kids. Too much time in the car and although its a nice drive, kids don't always appreciate scenery. The aquarium at Stanley Park is first class and a great place to visit to see B.C. marine life, you'll see the famous killer whales and beluga whales as well as many other interesting things. The ferry ride from downtown Van. over to the Quay on the North Shore is fun. From there you could get a bus to Grouse Mountain or to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. They might also enjoy Chinatown, lots of cheap stuff they can buy. The little ferries over to Granville Island are fun, and on weekends there's buskers in the area providing free entertainment. Science world is a popular spot for kids, all kinds of interactive stuff happening as well as 3D movies, dinosaur stuff etc.
Try the Coast Hotel at Stanley Park. It'close to everything and reasonable rates. You could even try asking for a Corporate rate or at least ask for their best rate. It's on Denman st. where there's lots of activity and on the beach within easy access to the S.P. seawall, zoo. Ask for the water view. Be aware though that there are alot of gays in this area should that offend you, however, it is a very safe area. Stephos greek restaurant is nice, however, I believe the reason there are line ups is because they don't take reservations. Go early. You might even want to take the Skytrain for a ride from Downtown Vancouver to the end of the line and back just to get a feel of the city and outlining areas. The cost is less than $3.00 person return and takes about 1 hour each way. You can get off at the Metrotown stop where they have a Playdium for kids and shopping that caters to them as well. Have fun and enjoy our beautiful city!!

Mar 5th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Pat

Forgot to mention, Coast Hotel at Stanley Park does not have a web site as yet,however,your local travel agent should be able to help you. Or call area code 604-688-7711 direct. Stepho's is on Davie St. not far from this hotel.

Mar 23rd, 2000, 12:21 PM
Susan

I highly recommend the Sylvia Hotel on English Bay (that's right across the street from Stanley Park). I have stayed there with my children when they were about the age yours are now. The Sylvia has suites with kitchenettes and separate bedroom and hide-a-beds (I don't remember what Australians call those) - a sofa that converts to a bed. The Vancouver Aquarium is a must for kids. It's spectacular- for years we never made a trip to Vancouver without going. Granville Island is fun, fun, fun for both kids and adults. Lots of great places to eat, many informal but excellent food. Many trendy and not all of them expensive shops including a small kids only mall type of place. From the Sylvia, you can get to Granville Island on a small ferry just a couple of blocks from your hotel. You can also rent bikes in Stanley Park which kids love. Have a good time.