Vancouver Wineries/IceWine

Nov 11th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Elaine

Vancouver Wineries/IceWine

We are planning a visit in Aug of 2003. We will be staying in Vancouver for a few days after our cruise on RCCL to Alaska.
After visiting Ontario this past summer my husband and I have fallen in love with IceWine's. So what brands are good for the BC area and where are the wineries located?? Can we take tours or drive from Vancouver???

Nov 12th, 2002, 03:32 AM
the_driven_one

First of all, thanks for considering spending a bit of time in this fair city. I assure you you'll love it. Unfortunately, though, the wineries that make Western Canada's best icewines are a bit of a drive (approx. 3-4 hours, depending on route selection and adherence to posted speed limits from Vancouver, in the Okanagan region in the BC interior. While my overall favourite Okanagan winery is Tinhorn Creek (near Oliver in the south Okanagan), for icewines I would recommend anything from Summerhill or Sumac Ridge wineries (although almost all Okanagan wineries produce decent ones). However, if the wine itself is all you're after, our government-owned liquor stores are plentiful throughout the province, especially in Vancouver, and they should have a decent selection as well... I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me at the address above...

Nov 12th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Elaine

Hello the _driven_one

I tried emailing that email address but my server keeps returning it to me.

First off I wanted to thank for responding to my email on Fodor’s about wineries, especially IceWine. After posting the email I did figure out that the better wineries were at least 3-5 hrs away. I do have a few more questions if you don’t mind answering them.

Are there any tours that leave from Vancouver and go to the Okanogan region or should we just rent a car and drive ourselves.

If we do drive and decided to stay over for a night or two what town and or specific hotels would you recommend? As for budget I don’t mind spending between 100-200 ca since we get such a great exchange rate.

As for the liquor stores in Vancouver do you have some names and phone numbers as I would love to find out if they carry my favorite icewine from Inniskill which is in the Niagara region.

What hotels do you recommend in Vancouver? Right now we are only in the planning stages but we would be arriving on a Friday the day before the cruise which is on RCCL. Should we stay by the airport or by the cruise terminal (what hotels are close by)? If the prices are like my home town of New York City I would assume by the airport is a bit cheaper than by the cruise terminal but once you factor in a taxi from the hotel is it worth it. But we will have our mother in law with us so she might want to be close to the cruise terminal. Once we return from our cruise I figure we will be in Vancouver for 4-5 days.

What sites should we NOT miss and is a day trip to Vancouver Island or Victoria worth it? We are not really into outdoor sports maybe hiking if I get into shapeJ.

What restaurants stand out for you. After being on a cruise food will probably be the last thing on our minds but I know we would like to hit a good Chinese place

Thank you so much for any help you can give me. If you have any websites I should check out for further info please let me know.

Elaine

Nov 13th, 2002, 05:36 PM
icithecat

Start with the important stuff. The ice wines available at the liquor stores.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en

Nov 13th, 2002, 05:41 PM
icithecat

Then, if you can still leave town, a google search on 'winery tours bc' yielded ~5400 hits.
hic

Nov 13th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Robyn

Another part of that site that might help you:

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/mat.../bcwinecountry