4 Days Vancouver & 5 in Whistler

Apr 20th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

4 Days Vancouver & 5 in Whistler

We are going to be in Vancouver for a few days mid July, prior to our group arriving. We really wanted to do some quaint, family vineyards (wine tastings). I have done the San Juans and Salt Spring Island, so was wondering if there is an area that we could visit a handful of wineries in an area close to each other while we are in Vancouver. We will be staying at the Fairmont Waterfront. What would be, in your opinion, the BEST seafood in Vancouver? We LOVE seafood. Also, do you have any thoughts on the best Kayak excursion? We are novices with a Kayak, but pretty athletic, 50+ year old couple and love outdoors. I have written down Bowen Island - and thoughts on whether that is a place worth going to? Thanks for any suggestions and opinions.
Apr 21st, 2017, 09:07 AM

I don't know if it's the best Kayak trip because I have not done it but Deep Cove is a beautiful spot and I have always wanted to kayak there. Just never works out!

Deep cove is in North Vancouver.
Apr 22nd, 2017, 02:32 AM

I love Bowen Island for a day excursion. Take the express bus to Horseshoe Bay, hop on the ferry and enjoy the wonderful scenery On the island you can hike to the small lake, browse the boutiques and have a meal.
Apr 24th, 2017, 10:49 AM

hello,
I don't think you will find any wineries near Vancouver.
The grape growing area in BC is the Okanagan, which is quite a drive (4 to 6 hours) from Vancouver.
Vancouver Island has some wineries/cideries. You can use HelloBC.com as a good guide to the area.
Apr 24th, 2017, 06:01 PM

Domaine de Chaberton and Township7 are two well established wineries in the Fraser Valley, about an hours drive from Vancouver on Hwy 1. Township7 has vineyards in the Okanagan. There are lots of other small wineries in the valley, but IMO Okanagan wines are much better, as the area has more sun and less rain.

For seafood in Vancouver Blue Water Cafe is consistently rated top choice. We also like Joe Fortes' more traditional fare. Yew, Miku and Ancora are a few others you might like, depending on your preferences.

Also Botanist is opening today in the Fairmont Pacific Rim.

http://www.straight.com/food/898086/...open-next-week

Watch for reviews, looks great so far.
Apr 25th, 2017, 06:27 AM

I very much enjoyed The Salmon House on the Hill in West Van some years ago. Perhaps Vancouverites can advise whether it is still a good choice for seafood.
Apr 25th, 2017, 05:19 PM

It's been many years since we visited Salmon House on the Hill, so can't say if it's still good, sorry laverendrye.