vancouver - whales, dolphins & lighthouses

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where in Vancouver (or Victoria) is a good place to see whales (aside from the tours that take you out on the water - can't swim!), and/or other sea animals like dolphins and sea lions? I see that the aquarium doesn't have killer whales anymore. Any suggestions for likely 'natural habitat' spotting?

How about any lighthouses in either city? Any that we can go into and maybe enjoy a nice lookout spot?

Thanks!
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 10:08 PM

There is no such place near a city of 2 million people (Vancouver) and smaller Victoria is a long shot as well.
Seals can 'sometimes' be spotted from the beach @ Spanish Banks but summer isn't the best time.
There is said to be a spot in the San Juan Islands where Orcas can sometimes be spotted.
'Lighthouse Park' @ Point Atkinson in West Vancouver is an automated light now-a nice stroll through the trees but little top see upon arrival.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Harbour Seals can be found at the Oak Bay Marina in Victoria. You can also buy some fish to feed them, other than that I'm afraid you'll be out of luck unless you take a tour on the water.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

I was afraid you'd say that!!

Guess I might have to brave teh Vanc Aquarium to see the seals and dolphins then (I'm not a fan of dark, museum type places).

Perhaps if I'm lucky, I may see some on the ferry ride??? We're heading to Victoria in the AM and the day we return will be in the evening or late afternoon.

Too bad about the lighthouse - guess I'll have to wait til I one day get to the East Coast!!

Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:37 AM

I have seen both porpoises and orcas from the ferry, but such sitings aren't that common.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 11:14 AM

Kindred 14, I wish you'd reconsider a visit to Vancouver Aquarium. This park is no better than all the others that keep mammals captive, for profit.
Records are not clear onto how many cetaceans have died at the VC because some animals were temporarily kept there before being shipped to another facility. However, according to local activist, the VA has killed 24 to 36 cetaceans to date. What is clearly documented is the dismal birth mortality rate at the VA. Three orcas and one beluga were born there only to die shortly after birth.
The VA web site states they are against getting any mammals from captivity, but did you know the only reason they say this is because a 1996 bylaw was passed that prohibits them from doing so.
Did you know the VA is searching for a captive orca from another facility to replace the male who died in Oct. 1997? And, their not just looking for one companion for their remaining dolphin, but according to speakers at the VA Board meeting on July 21 of this year, they are looking for 4 or 5.
It does not matter where they come from. Once a dolphin is in captivity they simply languish. Thery're not living. They're dying.
Please ask yourself if you want to go to a park that kills marine mammals.
Thanks
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 11:26 AM

Perhaps a person would go to an animal park to learn more about these animals and how we can help preserve them in the wild.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 12:40 PM

Going to an amimal park to learn about them? Right. Marine mammals in captivity are NOTHING like their wild counterparts. As Jacques wrote: "There is about as much educational benefit to be gained studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by only observing prisoners held in solitary confinement".
Public display is no more than commercial explotation of captive animals. Public display facilities do not maintain true conservation programs at all. If marine parks were truly concerned about conserving the species in the wild, they would be dedicated to determining the effects of their capture activities on the animals left behind.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 04:54 PM

Ally, I am glad you have an opinion. We would all be in trouble if we all thought the same thing...but you also have to respect the fact that people may feel differently than you do. You stated your case and made some good points. It is now up to the individual to decide how they feel. I personally have been looking at the V.A. website for sometime now and disagree with you. I do not wish to have a debate. Nor do I feel this is the place for anyone to get in a debate.

Let's respect one another and just use this message board for the purpose it was intended-TRAVEL ADVICE.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Excuse me? I was only stating my opinion to Cruserryyc regarding why a captive marine park is not the best way to learn about animals and their conservation. I never meant to imply that I didn't respect his/her opinion.