Whistler-VC-Seattle -Itenerary and questions

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whistler-VC-Seattle -Itenerary and questions

We have revised our itenerary and have questions for you experts out there.....here it goes:

1. We fly to Vancouver June 19th and find transportation to Whitsler. This is the first question. What is best? The limo round trip is $700...is that right?

2. We spend 5 nights in Whistler and drive back to Vancouver. We need no car and I need to research actvities (we have 2 kids, 12 and 10)

3. We spend 2 nights in Vancouver.

Will this be enough time to enjoy the down town and go to Victoria?
Should we try to do whale watching? Where?

4. We need transportation to Seattle and this brings several questions.
We would like to see the islands (San Juan or Orcas)....and have 3 nights left. Should we spend one night in one of the islands and then continue to Seattle?
Should we try to see whales in the islands instead of Victoria?
What is the best way to go from Vancouver to the islands and then Seatlle....bus or train to the feery and then rent a car?

As you can see I AM LOST.....

THANKS

Alba
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Have you thought of buying a guidebook? They are a good investment. Fodor's and Frommer are among the good ones.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:00 PM

I am no expert but I took a similar trip two years ago. I will offer this:

First of all, have you considered renting a car to drive from Vancouver to Whistler? That would seem to be the easiest way. In Whistler, we enjoyed bicycling, taking the tram up Whistler mountain-my daughter's first look at snow. (We are from Florida) and whitewater rafting. If the zip line tour is still available, I recommend it. We didn't do it in Whistler but did one in Costa Rica last summer and loved it.

Two days is not enough to see Vancouver and Victoria. You will need to take a float plane or ferry to Victoria. We spent three nights in Victoria at the Empress (highly recommend) and two in Vancouver. We enjoyed Victoria more than Vancouver.

We took a whale watching trip in Victoria which was very good-saw several whales. Also went salmon fishing.

I can't help you with Seattle or the San Juan Islands but I do suggest you get a map of the area along with a guide book or two.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:19 PM

We loved Victoria and Whistler both.
We flew into Settle, rented a car, drove to the ferry and went to Victoria. We spent several days there, seeing the gardens , the wax museum, a museum with tiny houses and soliders that your children would enjoy. Also tea the Empress Hotel is great.
Then we took the ferry back to Vancouver, I believe and then drove to Whistler. The drive is beautiful and we there when it was snowing but you would enjoy it no matter what season.
You need at least 4 days in Victoria. Several days in Whistler and time to enjoy the scenery on the way. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:43 PM

1 & 2. Your estimate for the limo round trip is about right. I would definitely rent a car or minivan instead of spending that kind of cash on a limo. Even though you don't need a car at Whistler it can definitely come in handy. I'm from Vancouver and always drive to Whistler, and often after a day of skiing I go to the rec centre with my nephews and goof around in the pool for a while and relax in the hottub. It is a great way to end the day. There are ice rinks and nice sports fields there as well, and it is *not* in walking distance from the Village. There are some other time that a car can come in handy, and you might really love the drive on the Sea to Sky highway.

3. 2 nights in Vancouver is not enough time to enjoy downtown and Victoria, you will be a bit rushed. I would choose one or the other. Vancouver is better for adults, Victoria might be a bit better for the kids because it is so much more compact. Take the ferry over to Victoria to experience the scenery or take a 30 float plane ride from downtown Vancouver to the foot of the Empress Hotel in downtown Victoria.
Whale watching is seasonal and is very accessible from Victoria.

4. Check to see if you can take the ferry from Victoria to San Jaun and then to Seattle. Otherwise you can drive from Vancouver to Seattle and stop halfway down to hop a ferry to the San Juan Islands. Alternatively you could go to the Gulf Islands (which is what the San Juan Islands are called on the Canadian side of the border) on your way to Victoria. The experience would be quite similar. Salt Spring, Galiano, Pender are some of the choices. This might make your trip a bit more efficient.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:25 PM

The most reasonable transportation from Vancouver Airport to Whistler is the Perimeter Whistler Express. It takes about 2.5 hours, some routes include downtown Vancouver hotel stops, others are direct to Whistler. About $65C one way for adults, $45C for children. The scenery along the Sea to Sky Highway is very beautiful. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:23 PM

For $700, I would rent a car to enjoy the flexibility it provides. There are a couple of very good guidebooks for touring Vancouver and the area with kids.