Vancouver visit in winter

Jul 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Vancouver visit in winter

We are travelling from Michigan to Vancouver for a family celebration over new years weekend. If we have a few days on either end, we'd like to make some plans. A few questions:
1. I gather Whistler is 2 hours away. Are there other resorts, perhaps smaller, perhaps less pricey (though I know it is holiday time/rates) that we should consider?
2. Does that 2 hr estimate hold true in winter?
3. We are not big skiers, and won't be bringing gear due to our main objective for the trip, so perhaps XC resorts where I'm not paying for all the downhill amenities?
4. Does it make sense to visit Vancouver Island in the winter at all?

Thanks.
Jul 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Jul 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM

I can only address 2 and 4, as I'm not familiar with other Vancouver area ski resorts besides Whistler.

Yes, it's usually still a 2 hour drive in winter--unless there's a snow storm in which case it can take longer.

I spent a wonderful Christmas out at Tofino on Vancouver Island and have been to Victoria a number of times during the winter--it depends on what you want to do of course but I wouldn't dismiss Vancouver Island out of hand.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:52 AM

Victoria actually gets less rain and more sunshine than Vancouver, so I agree with previous poster; don't dismiss Vancouver Island.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:30 PM

Whistler will be grossly expensive during the Christmas season and IF you can get a room, you'll really be paying a premium. I'd pass.

Go to Victoria. It's nice year round. It's an easy city to get around, has great sites and restaurants.
Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:30 AM

You might be hard-pressed to get a room at Whistler during its peak time, and of course prices will reflect that as well.

If you want to ski some local mountains (i.e., few minutes drive from Vancouver), Cypress Mtn (Hollyburn) has good x-country trails. It's been a few years since I've been there but I don't believe there is a resort on the mtn.

If you want a smaller ski resorts, there are a few inland: Sun Peaks and Big White come to mind. Both are more than a 2 hr drive away.

There's also Manning Park which would be closer than the last 2 mentioned. I've had fun at that resort too. It has downhill & x-country tho its downhill runs don't even rate compared to Whistler's, IMHO.

Having said all that, we love Whistler/Blackcomb.

Enjoy-la!
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good information. I will look up the other resorts and the 3 islands- but anything you would especially suggest in the way of things to see, places to stay, or places to eat there (islands) would be welcome. (2 adults, 1 or 2 teenagers).

Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM

What 3 Islands are you referring to? The only one referred to has been Vancouver Island. Tofino and Victoria are both located on it; Victoria at the southern end and Tofino farther north (about a five hour drive between them). Victoria is a moderately large city and is the capital of the Province of British Columbia. I get the feeling that you're thinking Vancouver Island is very small, it isn't - it is 285 miles in length and 50 miles in width with a population of over 750,000.