Vancouver/Seattle

May 3rd, 2004, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Vancouver/Seattle

I have 7-9 days for a trip to the Pacific Northwest/Vancouver area in August. I don't know anything about this area (which is why I'm going). I'm interested in Vancouver/nearby islands, Seattle and Portland. Is that too much? Which would you recommend if had to pick? And where would you fly in and out of? Thanks!
May 3rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
BAK

How are you going to get around? As a general rule, it's complicated to rent a car in one country and drop it off in another, and generally it is easier to rent a car in your own country and drop it off there.

So, Americans might fly to Seattle and leave from there; Canadians fly into and out of Vancouver.

It's a long way from Vancouver to Portland; I'm a great fan of Vancouver and Seattle and Vancouver Island, and a circle trip to these three areas could well take up your days, but if you were to, say, fly into Portland, drive up through Seatlle and then to Vancouver, back through Victoria and then to Seattle and drop the car there and fly home, you could hit all three centers.

Some people love driving and looking out the windows, and otehrs like to prowl around the towns more, so it's hard to give advice.

If it was me, I'd fly to Vancouver, rent a car, stay a day, drive to Saltspring Island, then to Vancouver Island, then to Victoria, take the ferry to Washington State, drive to see the Boeing plant in Everett, visit Seattle for a couple of days, drive back to Bellingham and then to Vancouver, spend several days there, and fly home.

BAK
May 3rd, 2004, 08:53 PM

The time you have is just enough to see the best of Vancouver and the Island without feeling as though you're on a treadmill.
Fly to Vancouver for a few days then head to the Island-save the US Northwest for another time.
http://www.vancouver.hm
May 4th, 2004, 04:59 AM

I'd opt ofr the 9-day version of the trip, given your ambitious planning. And if you can extend it a couple of days you wouldn't regret it. I concur with BAK that including Portland may not be logistically feasible. The Seattle-Vancouver-Vancouver Island circle is most enjoyable and do-able within your time frame. Portland is too much for this trip. We flew into Seattle (we're from PA), did 2 days there, then drove to Vancouver for 4 days, Whistler for 2 days (tto short), and then VI for final 3 days. We drove back to Seattle the 12th morning for a late afternoon flight home. Finally, given your short timeframe, going to any of the islands inbetween will sorely tax your time, given the ferry times. Perhaps a second trip to cover other bases may serve you well. Have fun.
May 4th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I'm planning to rent a car. It sounds like it might be best just to do the Vancover area. Does anyone have advice about a suggested itinerary, including islands, etc.