Reload this Page >

Vancouver - rockies

Search

Vancouver - rockies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 04:36 AM
noga lewis

Vancouver - rockies

We are going to the canadian rockies this July (2 adults, 22, 17, 10 yrs old)<BR>1. What is the shortest way to travel by car from Vancouver to Banff? Which is the most scentic route? (we get to Vancouver around noon and would like to get to Banff around 14:00 the next day). <BR>2. We have 4 days in the Banff, what are the "must see" in the rockies? We would like to include some hikes as well.<BR>Thank you

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 10:49 AM
traveller

When are you exactly planning on being in Banff? Remember that Stampede starts July 6th and that is when most places fill up and are expensive. Do you have accomodation booked?

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Bob Brown

From Vancouver to Banff, I suggest you look at a map. You don't have many choices. Take the trans Canada to Hope, then take the Coquihalla Freeway (toll)to Kamloops where you rejoin the Trans Canada. For more scenery, stay on the Trans Canada from Hope to Kamloops.<BR>From Kamloops, you continue on the Trans Canada past Revelstoke and over Rogers Pass to Golden. From Golden, you continue through Yoho Nat Park to Lake Louise and Banff.<BR>What to see? The area is full of scenic attractions, too many to list.<BR>But certainly Lake Louise and Moraine Lake are high on the list.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:47 AM
Noga

Thank you Bob, we will follow your route. Do you think we have enough time to see Jasper and the icefields? We have accommodation in Canmore and we need to go back there every night.<BR>Thank you, Noga

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Bob Brown

Canmore to Jasper is a long drive over a road that begs you to stop and love the scenery. It is the most gorgeous stretch of road I have ever seen, with the exception of the Three Pass Drive in Switzerland. But the Icefields Parkway goes on and on for mile after mile to the extent that world class views begin to seem common place. I kid you not!!<BR>You really do get to the point of saying <BR>"Ho hum. Another great, inspiring, world class view. Tenth one in the last 15 minutes."<BR><BR>Is there no way you could change your plans and invest one night in Jasper??<BR>It might be hard to find rooms in Jasper, but there is a list of rooms in private homes that is available on the <BR>Jasper National Park Website.<BR><BR>Let me suggest this alternative, even though it would mean a fairly long day. If you get into Vancouver around noon, you could get a good start on your drive to Cammore via JASPER. I think you could realistically get well past Kamloops because it is virtually all straight freeway driving. Then, from Kamloops drive to Jasper via BC highway 6 and 16. I think you could make it as far as Clearwater, where there are several motels. Valemount would be even better, which would shorten your drive for the next day. <BR>From Jasper, you would drive south on the Icefields Parkway. You might be near dark getting to Canmore, but the road is very good from Lake Louise on, even though part of it is two lane.<BR><BR>The reason I suggest this option is the distance from Canmore to Jasper. It about 380K Canmore to Jasper, which is about 235 miles. So a round trip is 470 miles. I think you could do it if you don't mind returning fairly late. You do have long days in July. <BR>At least go as far as the Icefields Center and then turn around. The views from the parkway are awesome, particularly at Sunwapta Pass near the boundry between Jasper and Banff parks.<BR><BR>The first relatively long hike I remember taking out there was the Plain of Six Glaciers at Lake Louise. We are still talking about it; and we repeated it two years ago. Even on the second seeing, it is still gorgeous scenery.<BR>And I might add that we have been back to the area since our first trip more than once.