Toronto for Gay Travelers

Jun 18th, 2001, 04:14 AM
David Sherman

Toronto for Gay Travelers

I am condidering my first trip to Toronto in late summer / early fall. Any suggestions for gay travelers (accomodations / night life / dining / when to travel / events / etc.) Any advise appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Manhattan

Jun 18th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Daniel Williams

Toronto has a huge Gay community and one of the largest Pride parades in the world (last weekend in June). I think 1 million people went last year. The center of the community is on Church and Wellesley right near Wellesley metro. I stayed at a chain hotel when I was there, Best Western Primrose, which is not too far away from the Church St. scene. Typical soulless hotel room in a high-rise. Other times I've stayed with friends.

Nightlife: these things change from time to time, but Toronto has tons of places for the Gay man (and woman) to go, depending on your age and inclination. It's been about 2 years since I've been to Toronto but quick summary: Woody's is an institution: a drink-beer-and-socalize place. There's an Eagle there for leather crowd. Buddies on Friday attracts a young somewhat alternative queer crowd. The Barn & Boots I know are quite popular dance clubs.

Check out Queen St. West area while you're there for funky Toronto. I know of a great Indian restaurant named Kashmir in the Eglinton-Yonge area but you'll have to take the subway to get there from the Gay Village. Little Italy, Kensington Market area, the enormous downtown Chinatown (one of 3 in Toronto I believe) and many areas of the city have world-class restaurants. Check Zagat's Toronto (www.zagats.com).

Have a great trip. Toronto's an incredibly fun, diverse, open-minded city.

DAN

Jun 21st, 2001, 04:00 AM
Dan

Hi Dan:

I really appreciate the information. Any thoughts on the best time of year to travel to Toronto? I was thinking end of Aug/beginning of Sept.

Dave

Jun 21st, 2001, 06:40 AM
Daniel Williams

Hey you used my e-mail address and name Dave

By the way I did want to mention that my suggestions are only the tip of the iceberg as far as Toronto's Gay scene is concerned.

Late August/Early September I would say is a good time to go, although I tend to prefer the weather mid- to late September,as it tends to cool off. Canada's Labor Day IS the same weekend as US Labor Day, which means places will be more packed and will have a higher tourist quotient than usual. A non-holiday weekend in Toronto might be more enjoyable if you like things slightly lower key.

Have a great trip! DAN

Jun 25th, 2001, 02:36 PM
One-in-ten

Daniel's note was spot on. However, one place he left out, is Remingtons on Yonge Street. If you are into strippers, they dance "buck nekked". I'm not from Kansas, but I had never seen anything like that. Also, a must see while in Toronto is the play Mamma Mia. No self respecting queen can not say they didn't enjoy this ABBA song based musical. Absolute pure fun. But book as soon in advance as possible, as it is the hottest show in town for tickets.

Jun 27th, 2001, 12:28 AM
jjj

David,

Daniel gave lots of useful info. In a lot of cities the gay bars are located in the worst part of town. Not so in Toronto. In fact, all of Toronto seemed so safe. True, there were homeless people sleeping on the street and "squeegee kids" at some major intersections, but you just have such a "safe" feeling in Toronto.

We were there two summers ago, just as Pride weekend was beginning. As we left town we saw that each corner of the Skydome, where the Toronto Blue Jays play, there was huge gay rainbow bunting at each corner.

As most major cities, Toronto is very gay-friendly - maybe a little more so than some.

If you get to Montreal, same story.

Enjoy.

Jack