Vancouver Restaurants

Aug 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Vancouver Restaurants

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Vancouver? I would like an interesting menu, not overly touristy. Staying in West End, so that area would be a plus, but not necessary.
Thanks in advance,
Annie
Aug 12th, 2008, 08:40 PM

What kind of food do you like?

What price point?

Vancouver is awash in excellent restaurants, so more info, please.
Aug 13th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Agreed. Also, since the West End (basically, everything West of Burrard and South of Robson) is bordered by restaurants on 3/4 sides, let us know if you're closer to Robson, Denman or Davie.
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:54 PM

I love the Cafe de Paris on Denman, between Robson and Georgia.
More up scale is La Gravoche (spelling aproximate) on Alberni, I think.
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:04 PM

What a coincidence! I had dinner at Cafe de Paris tonight. Wonderful veal medallions with morel mushrooms in a cream sauce after an heirloom tomato salad with feta cheese.
Aug 14th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

We are staying near Barclay Square.
We like almost all kinds of food except Indian and Japanese.
As far as price goes, anything from about $100 to $200 for dinner for 2 with a glass of wine.
Thanks for your suggestions. I have heard good things about Parkside and the Fish House. Do you know anything about them?
Aug 15th, 2008, 08:46 AM

Parkside is wonderful. You can order any 3 courses on the menu for $65 or order a la carte. As they describe themselves: fresh, seasonal and classically grounded cuisine with Mediterranean and French accents. The menu changes quite frequently, but it is always interesting. www.parksiderestaurant.ca. It is about a 10-minute walk downhill from Barclay Square one block West of Denman Street on Haro. Lovely outdoor patio if the weather is nice.

The Fish House caters more to tourists. Understandably, given its location, on the East side of Stanley Park. It isn't a bad restaurant, but it isn't in Parkside's league. As I've said many times on these boards, the best fish and seafood in Vancouver isn't generally found in seafood-themed restaurants.

Reservations advisable for both. They are both on opentable.com.
Aug 15th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Also considering RainCity Grill.
Any other ideas??
Aug 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Raincity Grill is also very good. It has more of a self-consciously designed "West Coast cuisine" orientation than Parkside does which occasionally result in a miss in concept if not execution. More show food than comfort food, in other words. But very good and beautifully located.

Other places I would recommend in the area (within a 10 minute walk) are CinCin (Italian -- but not the usual red sauce kind), Le Crocodile (formal French), Cafe de Paris (bistro French) and Delilah's (quite like Parkside).

Aug 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM

RainCity Grill is my absolutely favourite restaurant. I don't think you can go wrong there.
Aug 23rd, 2008, 07:38 PM

Hi,

I'll be staying at the West End Guest House in October ... can I ask for recommendations too? I love everything (including Indian and Japanese!)
I will be by myself and I am looking to spend less than $50 per meal (hopefully a lot less) without wine.
I want t eat at 1 or 2 really nice places, but I don't mind a "hole in the wall" as long as the food is great!
Aug 26th, 2008, 01:44 AM

I wanted to practice good etiquette and not post a similar thread but to rather ask my question on here ... but it seems no one is coming back to look at it. ;-(
Aug 28th, 2008, 11:23 PM

Hi, there are several great restaurants in Vancouver. Sanifir on Granville has great food.The Elbow room has great breakfasts. We just ate ate fuel tonight and it was great.