Vancouver Itinerary--Please Critique

Sep 18th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Vancouver Itinerary--Please Critique

My husband and I are going to Vancouver the second week in October. We get in around noon on Sunday and leave on Friday. We only get one adult vacation a year. We like museums and other things big cities have to offer but are not big time shoppers. We are pretty outdoorsy and would like to take advantage of that part of Vancouver as well. As for food--bring on the seafood!!! We don't get it where we live so we will be looking for as much of it as possible. We also like the "modern Canadian" restaurant type of food.

Logistics: We are staying at the Pacific Palisades on Robson in the West End/Downtown border. We are not planning on getting a car--we will just use mass transit. It just seems easier in a city. We were not going to bring anything really dressy. I assume the dress code is fairly close to Seattle and we didn't have to dress up to go out to dinner there.

Here are my tentative plans, please critique away!

Sunday afternoon: Vancouver Art Gallery, the Lookout, maybe Christ Church Cathedral if they let you in during the afternoon. Dinner: C Restaurant or Raincity Grill.

Monday morning: the Aquarium, Monday afternoon: explore Stanley Park--can we rent bikes there or is it better to walk? Dinner: C or Raincity

Tuesday: undecided. Should we go whale watching? Or to Science World?

Wednesday: Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain. Dinner: Bluewater Cafe

Thursday morning: Museum of Anthropology, lunch at Granville market
Thursday afternoon: Granville Market and Kids Market. Would it be worth it to go to Les Amis de Fromage in Kitsilano or will they have lots of cheese at the market?
Dinner: Bishops, West, or Gastropod

Other places I was looking at for dinner (we are not sit down lunch people): Diva at the Met, Nu, The Fishhouse in Stanley Park

Thanks for all of your critiques and ideas!!!
Sep 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM

I'd consider renting a car for a day trip to Whistler, rather than going whale watching that late in the season as your chances of seeing the resident orcas are much less in October than they would be in the summer months. The drive up the Sea to Sky highway is gorgeous and of course there are all sorts of outdoor activities available up at Whistler.

I don't think there are any bike rentals in the park but there are on Denman Street just outside the park. I like to walk around the seawall when I'm there (about 10k or six miles) but obviously that takes some time, biking would be faster.

I was just in Vancouver last weekend and tried a new (to me at least) restaurant, Coast, which was excellent. I tried their variation on the traditional Canadian dish: lobster poutine and it was very good as were the fresh raw oysters. It's quite the scene, so definitely make reservations and go on the early side if you prefer a quieter experience.

I also had brunch at Nu, which I enjoyed (it was a great day to sit out on their patio) but it turned out all the reviews saying the service is excrutiatingly slow are very accurate. So if you go for dinner, be aware that may be an issue.

I hadn't been to Raincity in a while so had lunch there and it was great as always so I wouldn't hesitate to go there for dinner.

I love West so I'd go there for sure.

There's lots of cheese at the Granville Market so you can play it by ear as to whether you need to visit another cheese shop.
Sep 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM

You are staying on Robson Street so there are many fantastic resteraunts close by. Dress code is very casual in most places in Vancouver.
REnting bikes, you would do that just outside of the park on Denman @ W. Georgia. I dont think you can rent them right in the park. You can ride the sea wall on your bikes which is great just make sure they give you locks for when you are going into the aquarium and other places. Grouse Mountain may be good for the later afternoon so that on your way down the mtn on the gondola you can see the lights of the city.
Sep 20th, 2009, 11:38 AM

If it's seafood you want then have lunch @ Go Fish in the parking lot of Fisherman's Wharf next to Granville Island-from there it's a 3 minute walk to Les Amis de Fromage-which is quite the place and if Cheese is your thing you really should visit.

Try and hit a few Izakayas for a real Vancouver 'Modern Canadian' experience--lots of info on Chowhound.

http://www.dinehere.ca to cross check any place you're thinking of patronising-C has surprisingly poor ratings-as does Nu.
Sep 20th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Re: <>

If you find yourself too tired and want a place to eat on the North Shore ~ I can personally recommend the restaurant "Pasparos Taverna" which is a v. short walk up to 3rd Street from the Lonsdale Bus Station/Seabus.

http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=683

Nice ambience.