Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island Trip in May-Any suggestions for what we should do?

Old Feb 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in Victoria for a week in the middle of May. Other than Butchart Gardens, tea at the
Empress and golf, do you have any suggestions for things we must do? Looks like that first weekend is the
72nd Victoria Highland Games and Celtic Festival. Is that something we should look at doing and do you need tickets in advance? Thanks.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM

The Royal BC museum, the wax museum, I'm not sure if Fort Rod Hill is still open to the public.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:10 PM

On the Victoria Day weekend, there is usually a tour of the pottery studios on Denman Island (near Qualicum Beach up Island). It is free and is hosted by some of the best potters in the country.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 07:38 PM

Always something interesting to see here
http://www.alcheringa-gallery.com/

http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/MainSite/default.aspx

Head north along highway 14 to Sooke and beyond to Port Renfrew visit some of the many beaches along the way all quite different.

Visit wineries in the nearby Cowichan Valley http://islandwineries.ca/
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 04:28 PM

The Royal BC Museum as already mentioned

A stroll through Oak Bay village

A stroll down Fort Street to Cook Street, then head south down Cook Street to the beach down the stairs at the end of the road.

A walk through Beacon Hill Park

Abkhazi Gardens

Emily Carr House

A fish & chips dinner from Barb's at the wharf
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM

Is tea at the Empress a strong priority? I know it is for most people who come here for the first time; it's just that there are nicer (and cheaper!)places for afternoon tea.
I definitely agree with fish & chips at Barb's.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:50 AM

We enjoyed many of these things listed on our trip to Victoria. One thing that we really loved and that has not been mentioned yet, was a float plane ride. We did Butchart Garden in the morning, then the float plane in the afternoon. The plane went over the gardens, so it was neat to see from another perspective. The plane was not cheap, but we felt it was worth the cost.

The museum is excellent and you can easily spend an entire day there. Beacon Hill Park is really nice. We stayed nearby and went every day. The guys went fishing one day, so DD and I did tea at the Empress and loved it! There is so much food that you will not want dinner. It was fun and not too stuffy.

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, this is fabulous.

Meesthare, where else do you suggest for tea?

mms, I was considering a float plane ride. We are not going to get up to Tofino and I was looking for something that would get us up there. The cost seems awfully high. Do you have any suggestions on what service to use? Apparently the float plane dock is right near where we are staying, any chance of getting a same day bargain?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, sounds like it will Barb's for at least one meal.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM

bookmark
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM

There are a few places. Highest on our list would be Point Ellice House. It's a restored Victorian home with heritage gardens; you can tour the place with an audio cassette, and then have tea in the garden. I'm not sure, though, that they will be offering tea that early in the season. Best to check on their website. Butchart Gardens also does a nice afternoon tea, and there is also the White Heather Tea Room in Oak Bay, which people really enjoy.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:00 AM

We used Hyack Air. They had several options for trips. I have no idea about getting a deal the day of as we reserved probably about a month in advance. It was well worth the money though!
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Just drive around the coast. I have been to Vancouver Island 3 times. The last time I home exchanged in Qualicum Beach (north of Nanaimo). I drove all the way to Tofino and took a freighter out in the sound where I saw some logging with helicopters. Staying in Victoria, that is probably too far away, but you would have time for some of the harbor sightseeing that I didn't. I also went to the opera in Victoria, which I enjoyed very much.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 03:06 PM

u might drive up the trans canada to the cowichan valley: wineries; cidery; farm stands ( although that early for much) chees shop in cowichan bay. excellent restaurant at merridale cider imo. u can also hit some wineries up the saanich peninsula from victoria
water taxis criss cross the island
take the ferry from brentwood bay to mill bay when u r up at butcharts or ferry to salt spring island ( market in ganges on the weekend
victoria art gallery
rent bicycles and head out beach drive dallas road to cadboro bay ( good cafe and a pub) explore the uplands ( older pretty houses; cattle point ; willows beach: all are off beach drive
rent a kayak from ocen river sports and explore the gorge and inner harbour
if there's a low tide botanical beach at the end of the west coast road just past port renfrew is fab ( about 2 hr leisurely drive vis sweet sooke
esquimault lagoon

have fun
Andrew David
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM

I know it may seem a bit corny to other Fodorites who like to do things on their own, but the first time we went to Victoria we took a Gray Line tour. It was really money well spent, as we saw thing that we would have never seen on our own and/or would have taken us days of flailing about to find. The gardens and the homes of the house proud folks of Victoria were worth the entire trip.

Old Mar 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM

nukesafe - it doesn't seem corny at all. Those of us who live in Victoria take a lot for granted but whenever we visit a new city we always take a tour the first day. You get an overall view and then you can always return to the spots that appeal to you.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Is there anything we should especially do since it is "Victoria Weekend"?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM

Is Craigdarroch Castle still open to the public?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM

I did a bus tour to Buchart Gardens the time I went to Victoria on the cat from Seattle. I have to tell you that I was really not impressed with the gardens. The reason they are noteworthy is that there is a microclimate in Victoria and things grow there that will not grow in other parts of Canada. I live in the Washington, DC, suburbs and the flowers that grow in Buchart also grow here. It is a garden that is well maintained and pleasantly arranged though. I was just disappointed, but you might not be.

If I were to return to Victoria in summer, the first thing I would do is go kayaking. When I home exchanged on the idland, it was spring and still too chilly for that to be enjoyable.

I really enjoy Victoria although I don't get the British thing. It really is Canada in a nice climate with a few British themed shops. Beautiful scenery around the city!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM

yes it is
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM

Butchart Gardens looks different at different times of the year; it's possible that when you went it wasn't that impressive to you. We've been several times in the spring and summer and have found it breathtaking - and we live in Victoria.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -