vancouver island

Jul 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

vancouver island

am staying in Tofino and want to go back to Vanvouver via Comox/ Powell River ferry
so that I can see the sunshine cost. Any ideas as to where I should stop. I have two days to make the trip.
Jul 19th, 2009, 11:44 PM

These are the places that we stayed on our recent trip, though we stayed 2 nights at each of them to have a day to explore. We also wanted to avoid having to take 2 ferries in one day, in case there were delays, etc.

Desolation Resort. Very well equipped, spacious and more upmarket cabins, set in forest overlooking Desolation Sound. We stayed in 4a - this and 4b are, I believe, the newest cabins and finished to a high standard. Free use of kayaks and canoes. A very quiet get away from it all location. Highly recommended.

Ruby Lake Resort - clean and comfortable wooden cabins overlooking a small lake next to Ruby Lake, we chose one with a full kitchen, though we only used it for breakfasts. Very attractive site with good Italian restaurant. Lots of birds and other wildlife in the area. Recommended.
Jul 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM

we stayed at Holiday Inn Express in Courtney,near Comox. Hotel reasonable,staff helpful, breakfast provided and it had a nice walking trail in the back of the hotel.
Jul 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions
How far was Desolatin Resort from Powell River?
We'll be driving from Tofino to Comox and didn't know if we should stay there before taking the ferry to Powell River or stay on the other side before we head back to Vancouver.
Jul 21st, 2009, 01:02 AM

We headed from Tofino to catch the 3.15 ferry from Comox (need to be at the terminal an hour before). This gave us plenty of time for the drive. The crossing is 1 hour 20 minutes then Desolation resort is 30 minutes max north of the Powell River terminal. The area is very peaceful and we also liked nearby Lund - very much a get away from it all place.

There is lots to see on the Lower Sunshine Coast too - we realy only touched the surface in a couple of days. I have some pictures of this part of our trip on here. I'm still adding to this, so it may be worth looking again in a couple of days if you are interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3169346...7621632513331/