Vancouver in October?

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:40 PM
Dana Sheanin

Vancouver in October?

I am trying to plan a week long trip to Vancouver with my husband and 18 month old daughter. We were considering Vancouver, with perhaps a day trip to Seattle. Will it be too rainy or cold to enjoy the city at that time of year? Thanks!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:46 PM
gary

October is a transition month. You know as in 'comes in like a lamb goes out like a lion' sorta thing. Temperatures are coolish, especially in the morning with usually pleasant afternoons. If you're lucky it will be warm and sunny, the fall colours will be gorgeous and the local Mountains will get their first dusting of snow. If you're unlucky it will be wet, cool and blustery making outdoor adventures a real challange. The odds change the later in the month you get but most likely you'll get a little of both.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 04:32 AM
reversal

In my opinion, reverse your plans. Spend 5-6 days in the wonderful Seattle area, with TONS to see and experience, and spend 1-2 days in Vancouver. Trust me, I know what I'm saying.

In Seattle, you have everything, from the ocean, rainforest in Olympic National Park, beautiful beach in Ocean Shores, Washington, the Orcas Islands, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helen, whale watching, fun downtown and awesome restaurants and shopping!

Vancouver is a nice city, but thats what it is. A city with shopping and a nice park......VERY similar to many many MANY cities. Victoria Island is worth a trip, but again, a day or two max.

Go to Fodors USA board and do a search on Seattle.

Or, if you want to stay in Canada - consider Montreal instead. Now THAT is one classy city!!!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Susan

To Reversal, where is Victoria Island? Do you mean Vancouver Island, with the capital city of BC being Victoria? Someone who says trust me, I know what I'm saying, should at least get his/her facts straight!

Both cities are great to visit. Seattle, I would say, is more expensive, especially if you're a Canadian. The dollar is abysmal these days. Weather is going to be fairly similar.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:22 PM
gary

Dana - I believe 'Reversal' is AKA 'Notme' who posted last week about how he really disliked Vancouver and loved Montreal. I think if you go on that thread you'll find his was a very lonely opinion indeed. Seattle is nice and has many interesting things but it's not in the same leaguye as Vancouver when it comes to Ethnic diversity and scenic splendour. Well, maybe the scenery is good but not as good. Seattle does have a richer Night Life than Vancouver but as Susan said it's a much more costly place to visit. Keep to your original plan - so long as the weather is decent you won't regret it

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 03:18 PM
reversal

Gary: Huh??? Not sure who you're referring to but it is not me.

Oh wait, but YOU are the proud owner and promoter of a B and B in Vancouver, isn't that right? The B and B looks very nice indeed. But it would be nicer located in Seattle. hehehe

Yes, I recall seeing your web site on your posts only a zillion times.....

To EACH his own opinion!!!! But then some have more of a vested interest than the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Cindy

Um - hang on a minute, here, everybody. I have never met Gary but I would be willing to stake my life savings on the fact that he does NOT own, manage, or run a b&b. I can also tell you that when somebody who doesn't even use a real e-mail address (neither do I, obviously) says "trust me," that's not something I would do. When this is followed by a comment about "Victoria Island," well, I think Susan has addressed that issue comprehensively. Now, about the question: I have been to both Seattle and Vancouver numerous times. They are both lovely cities. Seattle struck me as pleasant and scenic, but expensive, especially for us Canadians, with the dollar the way it is. Vancouver is rich in all sorts of ethnic flavour and atmosphere, and absolutely gorgeous in terms of scenery. Obviously this is all a matter of opinion - and I see no reason why somebody who is planning a trip to the west coast of Canada should be advised to go to Montreal instead. That just doesn't make any sense.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 04:49 PM
April

'Reversal' does sound confused on a couple of counts. I have no vested interest in anything, but having been to Seattle and Vancouver many times, I would take Vancouver over Seattle any day. That's just my preference. Of course, I would probably want to see both if I'd never been in the area.

I would try for earlier in October. The nice thing is that there will be fewer tourists and hotel rates should be better.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Carl Z

Gary's take on this is exactly right.

Also he is no B&B owner although there is one who posts here-a very helpful and knowledgeable Guy.

After a while regular posters get to know each other's styles/preferences.

In any case October is often lovely/Seattle is a bit far for a day trip-especially with a toddler.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:11 PM
gary

Reversal - 'Victoria Island' and I'm a 'proud owner and promoter of a B& B' and you say 'Trust me'. Well one thing is right -'hehehe'.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Julia

Hi!

I spent the first 24 years of my life living halfway between Vancouver and Seattle - I went to university in Seattle and have made hundreds of trips to Vancouver, Victoria and Whistler. As far as the weather, bring somethinng to wear for every possibility - goretex is your friend, and dress in layers, i.e. a tee shirt and jeans with a fuzzy sweater and good waterproof shoes. Then, you are prepared for everything!

Seattle is a really big city and crowds and traffic to match - the traffic is just mind-numbingly slow. There is about a day's worth of sightseeing to do - Pike's Place Market, lunch at the Space Needle. Get a hamburger at Dick's Drive-In - one in the University District, another on Capitol Hill and eat at Volunteer Park. You might also enjoy the ferry ride from Seattle to Bremerton and the drive up to Pt. Townsend. The San Juans are a nice ferry ride from Anacortes - great for mountain biking, or just getting away from the hustle of big city life. If you like to hike, do check out the Mt. Rainier or Mt. Baker National Forests. But, the crowds are almost inescapable, so do be forewarned.

Vancouver is very clean and nice, in the right parts of town - do stay out of East Vancouver. There is Stanley Park, the Aquarium, Kitsilano is a wonderful, bohemian, young neighborhood. The shopping is great in downtown Vancouver. Take a drive around Pt. Grey. You might want to take a couple of days in Whistler for a mountain retreat or a couple of days in Victoria for a trip to Victoria. Be sure to have tea and pastry at Murchies in Victoria, visit the provincial museum, feed ducks in Beacon Hill Park.

Have fun! Julia

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Al

I have spent the last 20 plus living in either Whistler or on Vancouver Island, and have made many trips to Seattle. Seattle is a great city, but whether you're CDn or American , your dollar wiil go much further in Canada. Vancouver rivals Seattle in every way, and you can take a day trip to Whistler or Victoria, although both really require 2 days. Weather in October can range from hot to snow, so bring layers. and enjoy!!!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Love Vancouver

We have taken the trip you propose twice with our kids, each time spending about 5 days in Vancouver, and about 2-3 in Seattle. We've traveled as a family all over the US and Canada, and even Europe. Vancouver is our favorite city! What you have to realize is that Vancouver is more than a beautiful "city". You can walk thru beautiful forrests just outside of Vancouver (and we did this when our youngest, twins, were just 2!) The Lynn Canyon suspension bridge is near Capilano Suspension bridge, but free (the locals' secret)! Also, there is Lighthouse Park (I think is the name), just north of Vancouver...it's a rainforest with magnificent trees. One day we took the Sea to Sky Highway towards Whistler, and just Provincial Park hopped all the way...one park had a great rocky beach where the kids loved to pick out beautiful rocks and pieces of driftwood. Another had gorgeous waterfalls. Another was a sandy beach. It was a leisurely day of discovery! You could easily spend a day in Stanley Park, too. Beautiful, and bigger than NYC's Central Park. Lots to do there. And, within the city of Vancouver is the Science Center...hands-on fun for even the youngest kids. So, anyway, we love Seattle, too, but I do hope you'll give Vancouver a chance...it is a really special city! (Oh, and Victoria is also worth a day or two!)

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 04:21 PM
gary

I really appreciate Al's comments except I do have to correct him on one point. It has never snowed in Vancouver proper in October. On the mountains yes and perhaps some flakes have come down on the city but so far as i know there has never been snow on the ground in Ocotber and I've live here almost 60 years - and never owned a B & B although it sounds nice.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Al

Sorry, I meant snow in Whistler in October, not Vancouver.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Karen

Julia said stay out of "East Vancouver" - can someone tell me more specifically how far East Vancouver extends....maybe give some street names as boundaries for the sketchy areas? Want to make sure my hotel isn't located in this area.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Daniel

Karen, do not worry about east Vancouver. Although you do not want to stay there, there are very few hotels in that part of town. East Vancouver is very safe, except for a small part of the eastern downtown area. Even that is not like an unsafe large American city. The problem is that in the eastern part of downtown you are likely to see drug users and use.

East Vancouver outside of downtown is mostly blue collar and has cheaper and less nice housing. However, there are some great character areas to visit including Commercial Drive which is the Italian part of town with many authentic Italian coffee houses and great restaurants. Don't be afraid to go there.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Robyn

I agree - "East Vancouver" isn't the term. East Vancouver takes up half of Vancouver! Usually anywhere east of Main Street is considered "East Van".

The "Downtown Eastside" is the neighbourhood where there's lots of drug use. This neighbourhood is located immediately surrounding the blocks at the intersection of Main and Hastings Street.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:39 AM
simon

How far does this area extend? Up aas far as Powell street and down to Prior street east? What about the area around Dr Sun Yat-Sen gardens?

I have also heard the area around Seymour street is bad?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:49 AM
gary

The Downtown Eastside is really bad for a few blocks either side of Main & Hastings. It's at it's worst on Hastings from about Cambie to a few blocks East of Main. Old Chinatown generally runs along and through this area but some of the residential areas like Strathcona and the area around Dr. Sun Yat Sen Gardens are quite pleasant and safe. Actually the bad areas are not so much 'unsafe' as 'uncomfortable' because of the extreme down and outers that inhabit it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -