Reload this Page >

Vancouver/Chinatown/Safety

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Summer Visitor

Our family, including young children, will be visiting Vancouver this summer. Aside places to visit like the Aquarium,etc, I was wondering whether it was a good idea to take them to Chinatown.<BR>I remember poking around Toronto's Chinatown and Kensington Market as a child with my Mother and thoroughly enjoying the shops and restaurants. <BR>The area I saw (at night) in Vancouver seemed to be mainly antique shops, I'm thinking the kids might like more "kitschy" places.<BR>Any suggestions?<BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Vancouver Mom

On a day like today...beautiful and sunny...Vancouver is a wonderful place to be! Have you ever visited our city?I highly recommend the Chinatown trip with the kids...for the last 5 years, I've been taking a group down for a 2-3 hr visit(kids ranging in age from 3-15, mine and their friends)and we have a great time! Just don't expect them to be interested in walking and shop-looking for too long. The highlight of the excursion is always lunch at an authentic Chinese eatery called Hons. There are really no safety issues more pressing in that area of town than in any other crowded venue, but Chinatown does border on our least tourist-friendly neighbourhood, so stay within the Chinatown area and you'll really find the visit fascinating. If you want more specific info, write back and I'll be happy to help!

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Summer Visitor

Thanks for your reply Vancouver Mom.<BR>I've only been in Vancouver once, at night en route from the Island. I asked about the safety of the Chinatown area because other postings on this site mentioned it. We will be based on V. Island visiting Grandma, but plan to take the kids (5,9,12)to Vancouver for a day or two. <BR>I'd like them to see the Aquarium, Science World and whatever else we can find out about. The website hello.bc has been very helpful.<BR>Could you please tell me more about Hons? And any recommendations on places to stay would be much apreciated.<BR>Thanks.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:24 AM
also wondering

We are considering having dinner at the Pink Pearl when we visit, which I hear is a wonderful Cantonese restaurant. Have also heard it is located in a questionable area, E. Hastings Street. I am concerned about getting to and from the area if the surrounding neighborhood is unsafe. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:42 AM
klam

Yes, Chinatown has seedy areas to it. Mostly around Main St. & Hastings. Lots of drug addicts and stuff. In the day time, it's okay as long as you are confident and use common sense. A lot of the local Chinese elders walk the streets every day and have no problem. I would avoid it at night tho.<BR><BR>As for Pink Pearl, it's not walking distance from the "main" part of Chinatown. Certainly worth a visit though. If you are going on a weekend, call ahead to make sure it will be open to the public. PP is a popular place to book for wedding receptions. If the wedding couple books the entire restaurant, there's no room for "regular diners".<BR><BR>Re: transportation. Just call a cab (forget about public transit as it will be infrequent and you wouldn't want to be standing around there at nite). If you are driving, PP has their own parking lots on either side of the restaurant.<BR><BR>Enjoy.

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Vancouver Mom

If you're staying downtown and want really great dim sum, there's no better place than the Imperial Restaurant at the base of Burrard Street...nicer ambience than the Pink Pearl, slightly more expensive, beautiful view of the harbour, and if you call ahead to reserve, you can get a table in the window. The staff is very accomodating and the food is the best on the West Coast.We go there for lunch at least twice a month, and after our experience in San Fransisco's Chinatown 2 weeks ago, I can firsthandedly say that Vancouver does dim sum best!Are your kids familiar with this food...I'll give you suggestions if you'd like. Also, on the hotel question, I'd check out Fodors Vancouver guide for more details, but I agree with their critique overall. Sutton Place is in an excellent downtown location and is a visitors favorite for good reason...it's decor is lovely, without being too over-the-top, and it's centrally located (requires a short 10min. cab ride to Chinatown)It has a lap pool and hot tub for the kids. Four seasons and Pan Pacific both have swimming pools...you should check out the newly renovated Westin Bayshore as well.Other lovely hotels include; Sheraton Le Soleil,<BR>The Wedgewood and Lord Stanley Suites in the Park.

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:17 AM
G Mitchell

For a real Cantonese ( Hong Kong ) eating experience, you don't have to go to the Pink Pearl. Just stay in Chinatown and go to Floata.Like PP, it is huge and not necessarily the best ( seats about 1000 ) but a real experience for Dim Sum<BR><BR>BTW-- the better Chinese resturants are not in Chinatown. Vancouver has such a large Asian population and many of the really good restaurants are outside of Chinatown in the neighbourhoods.

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:46 PM
also wondering

I am not the original poster, sorry if there was any confusion. I thought of the Pink Pearl since reading that the executive chef from Grand King moved over and thought my family would try it. We are staying downtown on West Georgia Street. Is it better to taxi to the Pink Pearl, spend a bit more at the Imperial or taxi over to Richmond? Thanks for your input.

Old May 11th, 2002, 09:31 PM
G Mitchell

You don't have to taxi anywhere. There are probably lots of good Chinese within walking distance of where you are staying. Kirin downtown on Alberni is good, Shanghai Bistro, also on Alberni and lots of others.<BR>If you want to taxi, you don't have to go all the way to Richmond. Just go up to Broadway --Top Gun, Grand King, Szechwan Chong Quing ( sp?) and others.<BR>In Kerrisdale on west 41st Golden Ocean.<BR><BR>Sun Sui Wah (Main street) is consistently the critics choice of the best in the city.<BR><BR>cheers,enjoy

Old May 12th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Vancouver Mom

Sun Sui Wah on Main Street is indeed awesome, however it's quite a distance from downtown, and unless the kids are into funky little shops and shopping there's not a whole lot else to do in that area.Richmond is WAY too far to go and totally unnecessary...stick to the local spots and check out a map to orient yourself.Have fun!

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Summer Visitor

Thank you for your help. You've (all) given me lots to think about.