Vancouver border crossing locations

Mar 20th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Vancouver border crossing locations

I'm driving from Seattle to Vancouver on Saturday (3/22). Is it best to queue up at the main border point (I-5) or is there an better/less crowded alternative crossing route to use?
Mar 20th, 2003, 06:58 AM

Just after you pass Bellingham tune in to 1130AM all news radio. Every ten minutes they give a traffic update and most times mention the waiting time for each of the three main border crossings into Greater Vancouver. You of course will be concerned with the 'Northbound' wait times.
Mar 20th, 2003, 08:58 AM
ALF

We never cross at the main I-5 crossing in Blaine. We always take the Sumas crossing, which is commonly referred to as the 'Truck Crossing', or 'Truck Route'. From I-5, take Exit 275, which is near Bellingham. Follow Route 542 to U.S. Route 9. From Sumas, you cross into B.C. at Abbotsford. It depends on where you are going in Vancouver - this route also bypasses a lot of traffic lights and city streets, particularly if you are headed for the suburbs.
Mar 20th, 2003, 09:31 AM

Alf's route takes you about 40 minutes out of the way. It's only a good option if there are major tie ups at the three crossings west of Sumas or if you are heading for Abbotsford or Langley. The 'Truck' crossing is less than a mile east of the 'Peace', (I-5), crossing and is less than 10 minutes out of the way.

I was just listening to News 1130 and the wait times for the Peace crossing was about 10-15 minutes and at the Truck crossing about 15 minutes for cars. Huntington, Hwy #13 crossing had no waits but it's about a half hour out of the way if you're heading for Vancouver proper.
Mar 20th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Generally my rule of thumb is, if the traffic for the border is backed up all the way to the freeway, or the very beginning of Peace Arch Park (where I-5 literally ends), take the Truck Crossing. The exit for the truck crossing is the last exit before the border - it should be well marked.

As others have said, the truck crossing is just a few minutes east of the Peace Arch crossing. While it doesn't have spectacular gardens like the Peace Arch crossing has, the lineups are generally much, much shorter.

Once you get through to Canada, just follow the signs pointing you back to the main highway (Hwy 99 - what I-5 turns into once it's in Canada). It's only a few minutes out of the way.
Mar 21st, 2003, 11:40 AM

What about coming the other way? How long are the backups coming into the US at the I-5 entrance, and how far into Canada can you hear the 1130AM station (or is there a comparable Canadian station)?
Mar 21st, 2003, 12:40 PM

soccr, News1130 is a Vancouver Station and they usually give the wait times for both North & Southbound traffic. Logic will tell you that traffic will be heaviest Southbound at the beginning of a Canadian Holiday weekend and Northbound at the start of a US long weekend. But it's sorta like going to a bank. You can go in and there will be only a few people in line and 10 minutes later the line will be 20 people long. That's why it's good to get those reports.

The past few days though, with the war reports and all, the every 10 minute traffic and weather reports have been getting pre-empted.