vancouver at Christmas?

Search

vancouver at Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vancouver at Christmas?

My last post was not specific enough I realize....But alot of activities in Vancouver are for summer( like the parks,street markets) So what does one do during the holidays (yes I know shop)Where do I go.. to shop in bad weather? What are your suggestions? for three days...Thanks
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM

I'm hoping for a reply to your post as well. We nearly booked a Christmas trip to Vancouver this past holiday season, but didn't...but maybe...
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM

I think people didn't reply cuz it's so vague. What do you want to shop for? High end clothes? Then head to Robson St. or South Granville. Electronics? Try Future Shop or A&B Sound like the others that line up at 5 a.m. for the door crashers. Into mainstream mass market? Try Pacific Centre Mall downtown, or the Metrotown Mall in Burnaby - you can get right to it using Skytrain (public transit).

There's lots of Christmas activities going at hotels, displays, light displays at the gardens (Van Dusen, Stanley Park miniature railway, etc.)

Hope this gets you started - I could write paragraphs and paragraphs. If you post back with more specifics (interests, who's in your travel party, etc.) people will feel their effort is worthwhile rather than just shooting in the dark.

Enjoy-la!
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:51 AM

You can visit the local mountains during the winter (Grouse, Cypress) They're not difficult to reach. As for shopping, I think downtown is your best bet. Even in winter. Pacific Center is large, indoors and is centrally located.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Vancouver @ Xmas is an altogether underwhelming place-streets are empty- it's dark early rainy windswept and drear.

People here celebrate the season in private and the few public functions are low key and quaint if not outright lame.

Few houses are decorated even fewer stores a person can sometimes drive for blocks without seeing Xmas decorations.

It doesn't help that the latest fashion is for a window display of few cheap hand sized paper snowflakes-and nothing more-the '<i>minimalist</i>' look.b-(

Shopping malls contain the same chain stores found everywhere.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 09:38 PM

To celebrate Christmas here in Victoria, ( just across the water), we usually mow the lawn and wash the car, just because we can. In other words, pretty much what we would do any weekend of the year.
Our climate does not drive us to celebrate the misplaced winter solstice as it does in colder climes.

If you want Christmas lights and icicles hanging from your nose, head to colder climes.

A skiing vacation in Whistler might be nice.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Where do you live?

We live in Seattle so Vancouver is an easy drive. We drove up last year on Dec 26 and stayed for three nights/two days. We had a really nice time. We stayed in the downtown area. We walked to the museum, where we saw a great Emily Carr exhibit (There is one this year, as well, and it is a good way to familiarize yourself with British Columbia). We were able to walk to the movies. (Yes, we can see movies at home, but we don't get out as often as we like.) We had a great dinner. We even found a Christmas play to go to at a local theater. We didn't have time for the Stanley Park lights.

Dec 26 was Boxing Day and we arrived at night. Ohmygosh, Robson Street was so packed with people shopping we could barely drive our car though it. There were stores with lines out the door, only so many being admitted at a time.

I like Canada in the winter, as it isn't so full of tourists and it is laid back. Guess it depends what you are looking for.