Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

What sort of jacket is needed for Christmas in Vancouver?

Mar 10th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Hello there, My 17 y/o daughter has been invited to visit Vancouver for Christmas to stay with family friends. We live in sunny Perth, Western Australia and have no experience of a Canadian winter. I understand about "layering" her clothes but she will need some kind of coat/jacket. Should it be waterproof and windproof, how thick etc. It is hard to buy coats like that here and only from specialty travel stores that cost the earth. She will be only needing it for 4 weeks - however she does have the travel bug............so who knows! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mar 11th, 2005, 04:49 AM

I would suggest a waterproof one with a wool sweater underneath.
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Vancouver's winter climate is not nearly as severe as that of most of the rest of Canada. Most years December is single digit temps with lots of rain. Occaisionally it is sunny with below freezing temps at least overnight.

Heavy woolen type sweaters, (and with all the sheep in Austrailia you must be able to find them there) and warm raingear is definately called for while things like scarfs and gloves could be purchased in Vancouver if necessary.

There's also the very real liklihood that she's going to want to visit some 'snow' areas like the local Mountains or Whistler in which case, once again, she could purchase the required clothing in Vancouver
Mar 11th, 2005, 08:28 AM

If she's likely to travel in the future (she's an Aussie - of course she will), an investment in durable, versatile travel clothing (especially a warm, waterproof jacket) is a good investment. Luckily, she'll be visiting a city whose prevalent style is "dress for a hiking emergency". Ask your friends to take her to Mountain Equipment Coop, a Canadian institution, as soon as she arrives and buy her a warm jacket for Christmas. Check out www.mec.ca - she can shop in advance. MEC is a retail co-operative that anyone can join for a very small one-time fee (about $5, I think). It places a lot of emphasis on social responsibility - its goal is to source and produce products that respect the environment and the people who make them.

There are a number of other stores that sell moderately priced cool/cold weather clothing, and some of it will even be on sale by Christmas - e.g. Eddie Bauer.
Mar 11th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Bad writing - I meant that your friends should take her to MEC so that you could buy her a jacket as a Christmas present.
Mar 11th, 2005, 09:34 AM
BAK

I'm willing to bet that if these family friends are nice enough to invite her to visit, they'll be nice enough to loan her a jacket.

Or at laest a coat warm enough to get her from the airport to a store, where she can pick from local favorites.

I used to host a lot of Jamaicans visiting Canada -- we could always find something to loan.

Footwear is a different issue. It's hard to find loaner-boots that fit and that people are willing to share.

At a minimum, over-the-ankle hking books that are waterproof and that have a large tread pattern should take care of most of her walking needs, and these are probably available in Perth.

Vancouver's weather is generally almost snowless at Christmas, but there are mountains nearby that she'll visit, where the air is colder and the snow is deeper.

BAK
Mar 11th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Of course, there was the Christmas (can't remember exactly when - maybe 1997?) when Vancouver and Victoria ended up with about 2 feet of snow. Our Toronto friends kept calling us just to laugh and ask how we were coping.

And it was -12C in mid-January 2005 for several days in northern Washington state on the coast, while temperatures soared (relatively speaking in Toronto). My sister left a message on my machine: It's the West Coast calling; we want our weather back.

But these are fluke weather conditions.
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It has helped us make up our minds as you are all in agreement, a woollen sweater (we call them jumpers, get it-sheep-jumpers)with a waterproof as Cruiseryyc and GaryA said. Kate, my daughter has already picked out her jacket on the MEC website and our friends know of the store in Vancouver, thanks so much for that. I was reading ahead of you with thoughts of it for a Christmas present! Great advice about the boots too, thanks BAK.
And, yes, I am sure she will be doing plenty of travelling in the future too, she was lucky enough to go to Reunion Island on French exchange last year for a month, has been to Asia with us twice and her wish is to be involved in Tourism when we finishes school. Thanks again, cheers from Perth!