Vacation in Windsor help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I will be running in the Detroit marathon Oct. 21st and we are trying to find a neat place to stay while we are in the area. I have had people mention that staying in Windsor would be a great option. It will be from Oct. 18th - Oct. 22. Is crossing the border by car pretty time consuming since we will have to go back and forth to Detroit a couple of days for the marathon activities. We would love to have a beautiful peaceful relaxing place that is a vacation home on a beach or lake. Does this sound like a reasonable thought or should we try to find somewhere in Detroit? Please help! We want a great experience and would like to do a little shopping while in Canada. Shopping is great there I have heard!!
Thanks!
Tammy
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:49 AM

I did respond in your US thread.

I think you will be able to find something in Windsor - and it is VERY close to Detroit.

As far as shopping goes - we have one main mall (Devonshire Mall) and there is a smaller outlet mall (windsor crossing).

I would say crossing the border would tax maximum a half an hour. Usually closer to 15 minutes.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Hi Tammy,

I would actually recommend you stay in Michigan since the border crossings can be delayed, and there are areas of Michigan that can offer just as much, if not more, than Windsor.

The shopping in Windsor is okay, but not when the US $ is almost on par with Canadian currency. I shop in Troy, and Michigan since there are far more outlet malls and terrific shopping stateside...

http://www.michigan.org/travel/shopp...3362&m=5;5

Also on that site are accomodations with names of the towns you can specify. Port Huron is very close to Detroit, and an easy drive in. It's on the water and might offer an alternative without border crossings. Here's a listing for a "cottage" that comes up but you can have a look at others in that area, or others near Detroit too:

http://adventureinnbedandbreakfast.c...e/default.html

Personally I feel that area has much more to offer than Windsor (and I lived there for 6 years) as well as eliminating the potential for cross border problems.

Hope that gives you another option.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

TobieT.. yes! It does give me another option to check in to! This is why I love this board so much.. you all help to make others get the best of their trips!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 08:18 AM

tammy~ After I looked at the exact location of the cottage link, I realized it's farther north from Port Huron than I thought, but that Michigan link should still be useful.
You should still check out Michigan maps for areas near Detroit with vrbo listings like this one:
http://www.vrbo.com/113933
Good luck!