UBC of Vancouver

Oct 28th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Giles

UBC of Vancouver

Vancouver's Uni UBC is a university I am thinking about going to in a later life, say 2005 - 2009. In Britain they have a good uni guide which separates the good unis from the bad ones. Does this exist in Vancouver and what does it say bout UBC?

Oct 28th, 2002, 01:23 PM
klam

UBC is actually the University of British Columbia (UBC), located in Vancouver. BC is the entire province (one of 10 provinces in Canada). This might help you as you do some searches on the 'net for more info.

UBC is one of the best U's in Canada; definitely in the top five. Of course it depends on what you plan to study. It is a comprehensive U with many faculties, supports research, and good ties to industry.

Oct 28th, 2002, 01:48 PM
gary

Mclean's Magazine does an annual rating of Canada's main Universities. I think the website address is www.mcleans.ca or something like that. check it out.

Oct 28th, 2002, 01:50 PM
DS

The MacLeans magazine here comes out with annual rankings of Canadian Universites. I believe UBC has always been ranked in the top. Their rankings are based on different categories from which univ draws the most research $$ to which univ has the prettiest campus.
You can try visiting http://www.macleans.ca/pub-doc/unive...2002/index.htm for a taste of what's in the magazine (there is a brief note on UBC too), but for all the gory details, you will have to purchase it.

There might be other rankings that come out, I'm not aware of.. perhaps others can shed some light. Good luck.

Oct 28th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Susan

www.universityreportcard.com

Oct 30th, 2002, 03:06 AM
DS

Canada's Top 50 Research Universities List:
www.researchinfosource.com

Oct 30th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Brian Kilgore

The maclaean's university issue is just out.

It divides universities into several categories. One is undergraduate universities, and another is "mediacal, doctoral and gradute" or some similar title. This is the group where UBC is found, and includes universities with medical schools and sizable departments with students who already have a 3 year or four year university degree. they are called "graduate students" in Canada.

UBC is listed as number 2, overall, on this list.

As with most Canadian unviersities, the subjects you take have a bearing on how good the university is, and your own definition of "good" matters, too. i.e. how much academic theory is taught, compared to how much practical application of whatever you are studying.

BAK