Search

Two nights in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2019, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two nights in Toronto

Two questions:

1. recommendations for the full day in Toronto, taking into account that as seniors we have slowed down.
2. recommendation of where to stay in Toronto; mostly interested in finding a neighborhood.
We will be there in early October.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 08:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are you coming from to Toronto? Are you planning on flying in, driving your own car or coming in by train? The CN tower is right next to the train station. On the other side of the CN Tower is the Rogers Center where the Toronto Blue Jays play.
Even if you don't eat there, plan on a long elevator ride up to the observation deck in a glass bottomed elevator. You might want to visit the Hockey Hall of Fame.
For a 1 or two night stay, you might want to stay at the HI Hostel on Church St. My wife and I stayed there before heading west on the ViaRail Canadian to Winnipeg.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael
Two questions:

1. recommendations for the full day in Toronto, taking into account that as seniors we have slowed down.
2. recommendation of where to stay in Toronto; mostly interested in finding a neighborhood.
We will be there in early October.
Yorkville is an upscale neighborhood with a good selection of hotels, restaurants, and shopping. I'd recommend staying there.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

I'll be driving.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 07:53 PM

I'd head for Danforth Avenue, aka The Danforth. It is our Greektown, a welcoming neighbourhood with what is likely the best restaurant row in Canada for price point and sympa vibe. The eateries range from Greek (duh) to Indian to Cuban to Italian to Japanese. There is also a highly-regarded Irish-style pub-tavern: 'Allens'.
Understand, most of those restaurants are not hoity-toity, 'gotta dress-up' joints. Instead, they are friendly, decent value with an easy atmosphere conducive to post-meal meandering and relaxation. Greektown runs through the Danforth from Broadview to Pape along a straight line---there are no residential side streets of particular interest to the visitor. Bon Chance.
I am done. The end.

PS see also the Sat. morn farmer's market @ the Brickworks, a former industrial site with many warm meal options available plus wonderful easy strolling through the paths of the adjoined man-made marsh. An outstanding example of urban renewal and at its best during the fall.
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 04:44 PM

The AGO ( art gallery of ontario) has a stunning collection in a fine box with a big selection of Canadian Art bot indigenous and non indigenous. its on a street car line so easily accessible and also by subway. i'm called to TO fro meeting so usually have my room paid. i am usually in the Courtyard by Marriott or the Chelsea both on Yonge street and well served by subway. to the east is Church Street, the focus of the sexual minority community colourful and safe with lots of restos etc.also on the eastside is the lovely campus of Ryerson University to the west you startt to bleed into the University of Toronto .

at the Courtyard i request a room that faces away from Yonge Street ; at the Chelsea, a high floor which sometimes gives a view of the Lake. both hotels try to honour requests

i'll be at one or the other for meetings in mid June!
cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. They help in narrowing down options.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 08:48 PM

Yes, the brickwork farmers market is fine but (sorry, zebec) it's in a very boring area with nothing walkable around it. Instead, I'd visit the St. Lawrence Market on a Saturday morning. You can either have lunch there (don't forget to go downstairs) or in one of the many restaurants in the neighbourhood. Then it's a short walk to Yonge Street or the lakeshore.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 07:27 AM

Point of clarification: Boring is in the eye of the beholder. In actual fact, the Evergreen Brickworks market and associated site, is synonymous with a marvelous walking area. The area is part of the man-made marsh which is attached to the back of the site. Many locals arrive there just for the walk and not for the market. As well, that series of paths is paralleled on its west side by an additional dirt walking path that goes north into a sizable urban forest. One could walk for miles. Walk that way, its a very fine walk, especially during autumnal times.
St. Lawrence market could fairly be described as having nothing walkabout around it, save for the downtown one associates with many North American cities. Great place to shop for specialized foods (Eastern Euro delis: rare New Zealand honey; VG sushi, awesome fresh fish, Amish produce and lots more). But walking not so much.
I am done. The end.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 10:11 AM

The central downtown, roughly Yonge street from Queen north to Bloor, is convenient for hotels, with several stops on the vital Yonge Street subway. On a budget, I often stay at Bond Place, on Dundas a block east of Yonge. You can't go wrong with others mentioned in this post, or at the Holiday Inn on Carlton, two blocks east of Yonge. The Chelsea is huge and well-maintained but note that its entrance is actually on Gerrard, a block west of Yonge. Google Maps can help you with locations and provide links. For a beer and burger, try the two-floor Imperial on Dundas east, as historic and authentic as a dive bar can be. The family operators have had a jazz soundtrack since 1943.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 10:39 AM

I'm really familiar with the Evergreen Market, zebec, and yes, if you're a visitor to the city who wants to walk for miles through an urban forest and man-made marsh area (and sure, there are probably people who want to do that) then Evergreen may be the spot to visit. In my experience, most visitors to the city want to explore the urban area.
The St. Lawrence Market has a wonderful history, a nice gallery, is surrounded by shops and restaurants and historical sites. It's within walking distance to excellent public transportation, and a walk or short subway/bus/streetcar ride to the lakeshore, Harbourfront Centre, theatres, concert halls galleries, the various festivals that happen in the city in October, etc.
I guess there are people who visit big cities so they can go hiking in urban forests but I'm definitely not one of them. I travel to cities to explore exactly what you describe as "...the downtown one associates with many North American cities" and I find that every big city has a distinct personality of its own.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 11:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goddesstogo
I'm really familiar with the Evergreen Market, zebec, and yes, if you're a visitor to the city who wants to walk for miles through an urban forest and man-made marsh area (and sure, there are probably people who want to do that) then Evergreen may be the spot to visit. In my experience, most visitors to the city want to explore the urban area.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. And the OP did indicate they were interested in finding a neighborhood. That's why I thought Yorkville would be a good choice, although I'm sure there are other neighborhood spots that would be good too. I should visit. I used to visit Toronto 2 to 3 times a year when I was younger. Haven't been in a couple of years now.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 11:20 AM

Oh, do visit tom42, and we'll arrange a nice GTG for you!