Two days in the Canadian Rockies

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is considering heading up to the Canadian Rockies after spending time in Glacier (the American one)/Waterton. We'd probably spend a night at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton and then head up to Banff.

I need more details from my dad, but I'm assuming we'd spend about two days in the area. If that's the case, what's the best way to spend two days? Is it best to just stay in Banff National Park since it's a short amount of time, or would visiting Jasper, Yoho, or Kootenay be a good idea?

What are some things that are must-see or must-do? No long, less-frequented trails because my dad freaks out about bears and refuses to allow it. Any shorter and more popular trails that we should take?

Anything worth our time in Calgary?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm pretty much researching this myself, and there is so much information to sort through.
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:03 PM

With only 2 days, just do Banff. Jasper is a day's drive all by itself, and several days to visit. You could visit Banff one day and Lake Louise the next (walk around the lake, no bear worries but lots of wjhiskey jacks will be fluttering in looking for handouts). Stay in one spot in Banff.
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Just make sure that if/when you go to Lake Louise you allow time for Moraine Lake. More beautiful than L.L. easily.

When you get out of your car in the parking lot go to the left and you'll the Rock Pile. Walk up and around the back. There are rock stairs and you'll come around to several viewpoints.

This view is what was on the old Canadian one dollar bill. Amazing
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:37 PM

Moraine Lake is beautiful indeed and a must see. It was on the 20 Dollar bill in the Canadian Scenes series which was current throughout the 1970's and 80's.
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:16 PM

Yep - Moraine Lake - and it really will not take up all day. If you do nothing else, that is a "must see."
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:11 PM

Two days isn't a lot of time, and exploring Banff plus visiting Lake Louise and/or Moraine Lake could easily more than fill this. However an alternative worth considering if you're up for a full day-trip drive is to travel partway up the Icefields Parkway, which is a spectacular drive. You could go as far as the amazing Athabasca Glacier of the Columbia Icefields - see http://www.icefieldsparkway.ca/ . You can walk to the edge of the glacier, or take a tour on a special Ice Explorer vehicle http://www.explorerockies.com/columbia-icefield/ .