Trip to winnipeg

Search

Trip to winnipeg

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to winnipeg

We are planning a trip to Winnipeg over Canada Day. It's an extra long weekend but we know nothing about the area. We are traveling from Louisiana and looking forward to exploring The Canada area. Suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. We can travel outside the area for good fun. We have two teenage children who love adventures! Thanks for the help.
Old May 14th, 2016, 09:43 AM

Welcome to Fodor's crumpgirly!

Highlights for me visiting Winnipeg included the Manitoba Museum and visiting the Manitoba Legislative Building. Osborne Village had a bit of a terrasse culture, so was an enjoyable spot for supper. An easy walk across the river from downtown Winnipeg, it was interesting to learn about the Franco-Manitoban history at the Musée de Saint-Boniface; I found it interesting that the Franco-Manitobans there spoke French very much like Quebeckers despite the great distance between the provinces, but it does sort of make sense as Saint-Boniface was settled by les Soeurs Grises from Quebec.

I understand that Winnipeggers like to go to Lake Winnipeg (huge, really should be called a "Great Lake" in my opinion) about an hour or so drive away and that Assiniboine Park is a favorite place to visit, but I didn't visit these, so I leave others to comment on those possibilities.

Winnipeg is a bit of boxy city and would not rank amongst the prettiest cities out there in my opinion, but overall the city has a pleasant energy about it and compensates by having some of the friendliest folk I've met anywhere.

Best wishes, Daniel

PS Just for future reference, you selected "trip report" for your query which may limit the number of responses you get as people don't realize you're asking a question. A trip report is what one writes after one visits a location to tell about one's experiences.
Old May 14th, 2016, 03:43 PM

Since you are from Louisiana, you will understand that the city's backbone is the Red River, which famously can flood in spring with waters flowing north from the US. It is also known as the coldest capitol city on the planet, worse than Moscow -- so you made a good choice of time to visit. Like Minneapolis to the south, being a long way from other big urban centres has encouraged Winnipeg to nourish its own arts, culture and cuisine. Enjoy!
Old May 15th, 2016, 02:50 AM

The Museum of Human Rights is absolutely wonderful. It is beautiful building near the river. There is a guided tour which will give you a overview and then you can pick and choose which floors interest you the most. We found ½ a day was not enough time.

Since you will be there for Canada day I’m sure there will be festivities, probably fireworks. Enjoy!
Old May 15th, 2016, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information and especially about the forum. Will need to see if I can modify this.
Old May 15th, 2016, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

We are driving from Minneapolis and want to experience Canada. Winnipeg is the closest city we are able to explore since we are limited to 4 days. I have heard other providence are prettier but hoping to give our children a taste of the Canadian culture.
Old May 16th, 2016, 06:22 AM

Hi crumpygirl--

You'll get an interesting beginning to your exploration of Canada with Winnipeg. I appreciated learning about the Metis culture while I was there, something that isn't as present elsewhere in Canada. If you enjoy yourself, I'd encourage you one day to explore the country some more!

Best wishes, Daniel