Reload this Page >

Trip to Vancouver Island & Banff

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 05:01 AM
patti

My husband and myself will be taking a first time trip to Banff and Vancouver island in July.We are staying for 2 weeks ,1 week in <BR>Banff and 1 week on Vancouver island.We intend on going to Yoho,Lake Louise for sure. <BR>We also will drive to Jasper via the Icefields parkway.Maligne lake and area are on the agenda as well.We are casual hikers and are not the type to go deep into the woods.We will then go to Victoria ,see the sights and head to Tofino and Pacific Rim <BR>(we are staying 3 days in Victoria and 3 days in Tofino)have read there are really nice trails in the park and area as well as <BR>nice beaches.Would also like to take a whale <BR>watch trip.My question is does anyone have any suggestions on other spots or "not to miss " places.We are from Atlanta and this is our first trip to Canada and want to make it the most enjoyable and memorable we can.Wildlife viewing is something we really want to see as well as pretty lakes etc. <BR>Just a note we are flying from Calgary to <BR>Victoria,so we will not be spending all our <BR>time going from region to region.Any input would be great, thanks in advance- <BR>Patti <BR>

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Island Girl

Hi Patti, <BR> <BR>Maligne Canyon is a nice area for a light hike, there are trails on either side of the very deep canyon, and we've seen big-horned sheep there, esp. early morning. Johnson's Canyon just outside Banff is another nice hike. You may want to stop at the Columbia Icefields on the Icefields Parkway. They use specially designed busses to take visitors right out on to the glacier. It's very impressive and the tour guides are full of information. In Yoho the must-see is Takkawkaw (sp?) Falls, and the land bridge in Yoho is also interesting. Emerald Lake is Yoho is very nice and if you're feeling flush with cash there's a beautiful lodge right on the lake. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Thor

Patti: Since the previous poster discussed the Rocky mtn. portion of your trip, I will make a few suggestions for the other side. You will be able to take whaling trips from Victoria or Tofino/Uculet or both. More likely to see Orcas from Victoria, and humpbacks offshore from Tofino. Both are great. After seeing Victoria, and on the way to Tofino, make a lunch stop in Chemainus to see the intersting murals. You will drive through the Cathedral Forest also on the way to Tofino, ( before Port Alberni), and it is a similar experience to California's Redwoods, except different kinds of trees. Make sure you visit both Tofino, and Ucuelet. They are both intersting towns, and are quite different, although they share a similar enivironment. Ucuelet now has a nice shore walk, where you can see the full force of the Pacific. Tofino has the miles of sandy beaches, and, of course, the National Park. I would take the boat ride out to Hot Spring Island from Tofino. You get a good feel for the B.C. Coast, and you end up in a neat series of hot springs, including one that washes hot and cold, as the waves come in and out. Bon Voyage

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 11:04 AM
elizabeth

Hi Patti - another vote for Johnson Canyon - a lovely hike. Also, I have some info on Tofino/Ucluelet restaurants, etc in Word format - if you would like a copy send me an e-mail at the above address.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 10:38 PM
Lindsay Garrison

Tofino has Gray Whales, not Humpbacks. Don't waste your time with Ucluelet - it's a washed up former logging town trying to resuscitate itself with ideas of jumping on the tourism band wagon.<BR>

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 07:19 PM
April

Here are some ideas for Victoria.<BR>Visit the Royal BC museum, walk through the Empress Hotel, take a harbour ferry tour. Walk from the causeway at the inner harbour along the waterfront as far as you can go. Climb up the stairs, cross the street and walk up Fisgard (Chinatown). Fan Tan Alley is on one side of the street, Dragon Alley on the other. Continue up the street if you have any need to go to a department store. You'll find the other department store, Eaton's (which not actually Eaton's any more) along the main tourist drag on Government St., along with Roger's Chocolates, the cigar shop, Murchies Tea and Munro's Books.<BR><BR>Visit Beacon Hill Park, drive through to Dallas Road and turn left. Follow the coast continuing though the Uplands and - using a map here - find your way to Mt. Doug. Drive to the top, park the car and walk up to the viewpoint.<BR><BR>Drive to Butchart's Gardens if you want to visit it, maybe out West Saanich Road. I would go early in the day. When you leave you can continue on West Saanich and cross the highway to Sidney where Tanners Books is and Lunn's Bakery (good for a snack). Or go straight to the highway, head back into town but turn left before Elk Lake onto Sayward Road and visit Matticks Farm for shopping, ice cream or tea.<BR><BR>I said it here before but my favourite garden area is Hatley Park &amp; castle out Sooke Road. It is featured in the spring issue of Beautiful British Columbia magazine.<BR><BR>The highlights of your trip for me though would be the Banff and Tofino areas.