Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trip from Toronto (YYZ) to Niagara Falls (Canada)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at several postings on this topic, but I would like another input on this.

I fly into YYZ. I have looked at bus options. The taxi seems to be about ~160$ plus tip? When I looked at the VIA rail option, the train seems to run along the lake. It looks like going to the Union Station from the YYZ requires backtracking. How about a taxi from YYZ to the Long Branch GO station, train to the Burlington station http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...rd/Table01.pdf, then another train to Niagara Falls? http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...rd/Table12.pdf

I am doing this on Friday around noon, so there is no direct Niagara train. I am presuming I can buy all the VIA tickets using a tickets machine using a U.S. credit card.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:15 AM

I'm unclear as to your dates of travel. The G20 summit will impact travel from Union Station from June 24 - 27. From VIA website:

"The following changes will be in effect for the period of June 24-27, 2010.
All VIA trains between Toronto and Niagara Falls, Windsor, London and points enroute will originate/terminate in Oakville. The VIA/GO Transit station is located at 200 Cross Ave., Oakville."

There is an airport express that will drop you at the Royal York just across from Union Stn. Two options from there are VIA rail and the GO train to Niagara which operates seasonally, but service is limited.

$160 seems high .. that would appear to be a price to Niagara. If you can't access Union, I think you can get limo service to Oakville for approx. $50. I'd shop around. Is a car rental an option? Certainly your most economical and efficient way to go. Can't comment on ticket machines -- live agents should be present at the stations and accept U.S. VISA for sure. You'd have to check on other cards.

http://www.torontoairportexpress.com/
http://www.viarail.ca/en/trains/onta...alls/schedules
http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/t.../seasonal.aspx
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:54 AM

How about car rental?
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM

There is a shuttle service to and from Pearson airport shown on niagaraairbus.com. Not sure about price, but has to be a lot better than $160. Go to that link and also search "airport shuttle Niagara falls Ontario" - but I think there will only be that company.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM

My family wants to do this in August. Could we drive to it and dedicate a morning...or do we need all dat?
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 06:56 PM

Its 90 minutes each way alba... that 3 hours is the whole morning... If you decide to go, make it the whole day and be sure to see the top attractions... Start with Maid of the Mist which you can take on the US or Canada side... consider the Cave of the Winds on the US side and make sure you take your daughter on the Whirlpool JetBoats (US or Canada)... JetBoats is a 16 year old's dream ride... the others are a bit tamer but be prepared to get wet on all three...
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Thanks Gary! We just have 4 days in Toronto and 2 of those we are watching tennis so we are very limited timewise.
We land on a Thrusday at 2:30 pm...I thouhgt maybe we could go straight to Niagara Falls for the sunset and drive back afterwards.....we would get there by 6 pm and start driving back around 9nish....need to look up the sunset time.....is this a bad idea?
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 02:36 PM

Alba... by the time you get in and collect your things you will be in rush hour traffic in Toronto... driving to the falls will take too long for you to enjoy much of anything... I would check-in to the hotel and have a walk around your neighborhood and catch a great outdoor bistro dinner...
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM

I think you are right Gary!!!! NF will have to wait.

I'll see what we can do around the hotel (we stay in 475 Yonge ST) ....I'm a planner and have not planned a thing for this trip!!! I'm panicking.