Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Traveling by Train from Vancouver to Quebec

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Robin

Hi: <BR> <BR>I am interested in taking my daughter on a train trip this next summer. Would like to go from Vancouver to Quebec. Wondered how long it took and recommendations from anyone who has taken that trip. Also, places to stay and things to do in Quebec. <BR> <BR>Thanks, Robin

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Brian Kilgore

You can get lots of information at www.viarail.ca <BR> <BR>Viarail is the Canadian government-owned passenger railway line. <BR> <BR>You can take one train from Vancouver to Montreal or Toronto; then you'll change trains to get to Montreeal (if you get off in Toronto) and change again in Montreal to get to Quebec City. <BR> <BR>The long ride goes from Vancouver up through the mountains to jasper, and then to Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and then curves down into southern Ontario, where, I believe but do not know for sure, the train splits and some goes to toronto and some to Montreal. <BR> <BR>Summer trains sell out quickly, at least for parts of the trip, so planning ahead is a good idea. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:44 PM
xxx

i enjoy train trips but this is a long one and the middle is sort of dull. if you guys don't mind looking at the same thing for hours and hours, then you're o.k. or, if the train goes through saskatchewan at night when your sleeping would be ideal.<BR>another option is get off in edmonton & fly westjet to ontario, then pick up the train again.