Search

TRAIN

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 10:43 AM
KATHY

TRAIN

Hi, <BR>My husband and I will be taking the Amtrak train from Chicago to Toronto. I made the reservations and bought the tickets without giving it a second thought. Now my husband is wondering if smoking is allowed on the train. Are there any smokers out there that know. Please give details. <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 02:07 PM
Daniel Williams

Dear Kathy, <BR> <BR>I would doubt that you're allowed to smoke on the train. I've taken the train from New York City to Montreal and you're not allowed to smoke on that one. They do let people out to smoke on the platform at Albany, NY on that trip though...

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 03:54 AM
Kathy

Thank you. If anyone has information on smoking on the Chicago-Toronto trip please let me know. <BR> <BR>Kathy <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 05:12 AM
jane

Hi Kathy! <BR>We took the same train from Toronto to Chicago 2 years ago and smoking was not allowed onboard. People could disembark at several points to smoke. One thing I remember is to expect long delays--both ways the train was held up at customs and we arrived about 45min-hour late. Also, the scenery is not very exciting so we spent most of the time reading and chatting with other passengers. <BR>have fun in Toronto!

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 05:17 AM
KATHY

Hi, <BR>Thanks for the smoking information. My husband isn't going to be a happy guy. But my answer to that is if you don't like it then quit smoking. Also it's nice to know that we will not arrive as scheduled. How big of a deal is customs? Also we have never taken an extended train ride, so how is the food? <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 03:08 PM
Daniel Williams

Dear Kathy, <BR> <BR>I've taken Amtrak quite a few places on many occasions. <BR> <BR>Customs at the Quebec-New York border take about an hour...there have not always been delays in my experience. Once I believe there was a 1/2 hour delay. <BR> <BR>Customs is typically routine for US and Canadian citizens..."name?" "why are you going?" "bring any gifts?" "have a nice time in Canada..."; other nationalities sometimes take longer. <BR> <BR>The food is nothing to write home about on Amtrak. I have personally found it edible however. Others who are more finicky might disagree... <BR> <BR>Good luck and have fun in Tronno! It's a great city! <BR> <BR>Dan.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 07:11 PM
KATHY

Dan, <BR>Thanks for the customs information. I hope it is as minor as you make it sound. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Kathy <BR>