Search

Train

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train

Believe it or not, I've never been on a train (except subway). My husband and I are taking train from NF to Toronto to Montreal on VIA 1 the beginning of Oct. We'll arrive in Montreal at 2:15 PM. Is there anything I should know? Are there porters from Toronto to Montreal. (We aren't taking the "baggage car&quot. Thanks for your advice.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 08:54 AM

Dear LRuthS, If your travelling from Newfoundland by train when you cross at the Newfoundland ferry your going to be in for a surprise Cape Breton doesn't have a passenger service unless you are going to take the via Bras dor lakes train on a wenesday morning other wise the closest train we have is loacted in Truro approx. 300 km from the ferry. I hope this doesn't put a damper on your trip. Best of luck & have fun.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 10:08 AM
wow

I thought NF was Niagara Falls!
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 04:14 PM
BAK

Baggage is not as simple as you might think, but it is obviously manageable, or there woiuld be big piles of bags left at the stations.

If you can get your baggage on to the train in Niagara Falls and off of the train in Toronto, you should be able to find a porter on the train platform to help you take the luggage from the NF-Toronto train to either the train that goes to Montreal, or to the VIA 1 waiting room inside Union Station.

When your train to Montreal is ready to be boarded, there will be people in the Via 1 lounge to help get your luggage to the train.

Inside the Via 1 car there will be a luggage storage area just inside the door of the train, and if you want to take a small bag to your seat, you'll be able to do this.

VIA 1 includes meals, but if you think you'll want a snack before dinner is served, (my recollection is that you don't get a meal until you get to Kingston, depending on the time of day) you can get some good items inside Union Station.

The VIA Rail side of the station runs up agains the GO Train side of Union Station, and there's a hallway linking them, down on the lower level.

Once you get your baggage safely in the VIA 1 lounge / waiting room, leave the departure area by walking up the sloping ramp. You'll be in the main hall of Union Station. There's a Harvey's there, and a candy kiosk, but for better snacks, go down the big stairway, and head toward the GO section. There's a do-nut store, a McDonalds, a Michel's Baguettes, a Cinnamon bun place (get lots of napkins if this is yhour choice; they are sticky) a Second Cup where the pastries are pretty good, and a convenience store which sells some fruit, and some other places, too.

I've taken the train 50 times; there is no 'good' side to sit on. Each has its advantages.

Once you get to Montreal's Central Station, there will once again be porters to take your baggage up to the main level (trains come in "downstairs&quotand over to the doors where you can get a taxi to your hotel.

When you come back, there is even bettter selection of snacks in Central Station.

If you've got extra time to kill between trains in Toronto, you can go directly from the station into the maze of hallways and stores underneath the bank towers.

You'll enjoy the train. It is more simple and pleasant than it is exciting, but the views are nice, the train staff are almost alwyas nice people, the VIA 1 meal is always pretty good. Take a good book.

Lots of people, by the way, have not been on trains. I met a grandfather and his grandaughter from down near Brantford today, just getting off the GO Train. They'd driven in to Oakville to catch the train, because granddad wanted to give the girl the fun of a train trip.

Trains leave on time, so make sure you allow at least five minutes between the time you get back to the VIA lounge and the departure time, and I'd allow at least ten minutes if you want help with the bags.

BAK

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. You've answered all my questions.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Yes----NF is Niagara Falls.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:32 AM

Hi guys don't know what I was thinking. down here NF means Newfoundland since they changed the provience letters sorry for any misunderstanding.