Search

toronto with teen October 2009

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toronto with teen October 2009

Hello
I will be traveling to Toronto in October with my wife (loangalsal), and my 17 year old daughter. I have been looking at guidebooks to determine what to do and need some help. I KNOW that both loangal and daughter will LOVE vintage clothes shopping in Kensington Market and Queen West. I KNOW daughter will like the CN tower. I think daughter will like museums. Any other suggestions for a 17 year old? Any music venues that will allow a 17 year old? Help please. Thanks

Jim
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM

Hi Jim,

What dates will you be in Toronto, and in general what sort of music does your daughter enjoy?

cheers

jerry
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM

If museums, she might get a kick out of the Bata Shoe Museum at Bloor and St. George. It's a small, fun museum. Then walk west along Bloor Street. The strip from Spadina to Bathurst is a fun, funky university neighbourhood. Tons of restaurants, so stop for lunch or dinner, and interesting shops.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

We are going to be there in October (14th to the 19th). Daughter likes "alternative" (?) music. Doesn't like country or blues. Likes "classic rock." Also, thanks for the tip on the shoe museum. We will go there, I'm sure.

Jim
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Darn! A wonderful 18-year-old Canadian singer - songwriter named Ariana Gillis is having a CD release concert in Toronto in October 20th at Hugh's Room. Ariana's music is "alt-pop-roots" and I am certain you and your daughter would enjoy her. She is unique and very talented!

I'll check around and see what other "all ages" shows are on during your visit.......
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Kicking around Yorkville can be fun for teens... I can remember my daughter's mouth dropping when she picked up a $2800.00 belt and a cashmere scarf for over a thousand...

also there's always the possibility in Yorkville for Celebrity spotting... lots of filming in TO and the Celebs stay around there... have fun
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I'm 19 i'm not sure about all ages shows but these are some of the things I like to do. Taking a walk around China town is always fun, my friends and I like to stop in at a bakery and buy lots of cheap and delicious pastries. St Lawrence Market on the Weekend is nice, they have lots of cool stalls and really good food. I agree that the shoe museum is something she might like, my friends and I have done that. i'm not sure if you would be interested but body worlds is going to be at the ontario science centre in october. Queen st west is definately something she would like and King st west is also lively and has some cool restaurants that would be nice for dinner. I don't really like to go to the eatons centre because it is so busy but there are so many stores at yonge and dundas, my favourite part is the cool hand made stuff like jewelry in yonge-dundas square on the weekends, definately worth checking out. I think the outdoor stalls are going until the 18th of october hope this helps have a good time
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
BAK

My fifteen year old son and his 31 year old sister, who he does not se3e all that much, spent a great Friday last week mostly on Queen Street West, and at the Eaton Centre, checking out shoes -- he's got big feet -- and looking for comic books.

Second City has special ticket prices for students; bring her student ID and save some money. (does not work Saturday evenings)

BAK
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Hey thanks for the great ideas. I'd already planned on Second City as one evening for us. And Queen West and West Queen West should certainly take some time to explore. One question for Andy though. What is at Yonge-Dundas? I thought Eatons took up that whole area between Dundas and Queen. My daughter would really like hand made jewelry (especially if it is inexpensive). Thanks
Jim
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM

Arts at the Heart http://www.toronto.com/folk_arts_crafts/event/636794 is one event that takes place at Yonge Dundas Square and your daughter may be alble to get hand made jewellery there.

Check out www.toronto.com for other events.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM

eatons centre does take up most of the area but across the street is yonge-dundas square. like goddesstogo said it is called arts at the heart. here is the yonge-dundas square web site there might be something more about it on here http://www.ydsquare.ca/ also last time i went to st lawrence market they had some cool hand made jewelry http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/shopping/cspec1.html
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM

oh also urban hat on the st lawrence market website is one of my favourite shops it has some really cool hats
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM

If you go to the St. Lawrence Market on Saturday, don't miss the craft stalls down the west side of the building. On Sunday the north market is a fun and funky antiques market. You daughter could pick up some great vintage costume jewellery! There are also some nice restaurants in the neighbourhood including Breton-style crepes at Le Papillon on Front near Church.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 03:38 PM

You might be interested in going to a taping of a show for MTV Canada... The building is on Yonge Street, North of Bloor.
They are always giving out free tickets for various tapings.. check it out.. if you have a facebook account..they post free tickets there all the time. Check out the group called:
FREE TV TAPING TICKETS!
for more info..
You can also take tours at the CBC studios.. which has shows like the Hour.. Thats a fun time.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM

Oh yeah, almost forgot.. the Ontario Science Centre is really cool!