Toronto<-> US

Mar 27th, 2000, 03:54 PM
ikebukero

Toronto<-> US

Hi,

I have an airfare which enables me to visit any one of United's stops in continental USA - problem is I really want to go to Toronto.

I have tried searching for airfares from Buffalo, Chicago or New York to Toronto (using United's website and also travel.com) but all the fares come back at approx $600 return! Surely this can't be right? If I instead look at one-way fares they seem to charge ~$150 for YYZ->NYC, but ~$400 for NYC->YYZ?? Is there somewhere else I should be looking for cheap fares, or is this just the way it is?

What about other methods of getting to Toronto from USA (eg train, bus?). Is Greyhound bareable, or is there anyway I could get from Buffalo to Toronto via Niagara Falls tourist busses?

Tha

Mar 28th, 2000, 04:36 AM
KATHY

Hi,
I don't know how much it costs for 1 person, but my husband, myself, and our 2 children are taking the train from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Toronto. For the 4 of us the fare is $438.00. That's for all 4 of us, not for each of us.

Kathy

Mar 28th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Brian in Atlanta

It's only about 75 miles from Buffalo to Toronto - consider renting a car.

Mar 28th, 2000, 08:27 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi IKe!

I understand your frustration about getting to Toronto. For some reason, flights to Canada these days are disproportionately expensive. Considerably more than domestic, even for relatively short distances. Last November and December, I booked flights to Montreal for US$210 round trip tax included from Washington DC. Now the fares are much closer to US$310 BASE FARE, which on my salary means I can't go half as often as I'd like to. (I imagine you're trying to go on short notice, which is why the prices are as high as $600 RT).

If you don't want to rent a car, your best bet is to fly to Buffalo and catch a bus. The biggest time-consumer about taking a bus or a train into Canada is that you have to wait for Customs to go through EVERY passenger. I've done it many times and don't look forward to the wait, but they are relatively efficient and are typically done in under an hour.

As for Greyhound being bearable, it depends what your standards are... I personally don't find it unbearable except for long hauls...

good luck Dan.

Good luck, Dan.

Apr 2nd, 2000, 02:19 PM
Brian Kilgore

In favor of the car rental in Buffalo is that you'll have an easy way to go visit NiagaraFalls and Niagara on the lake, on your way to Toronto.
Short air fares are always high, which is a problem.
Many Toronto residents used to take a bus to the Buffalo airport, in order to catch US based flights to various destinations, before PeopleExpress disappeared. You might try www.trentway.com and www.greyhound.com
Perhaps these companies have service to the Buffalo airport. the flaw with the car rental is that you won't need it all the time you are in Toronto, but you can't return a US rental car in Toronto, and then get it back in time to return to Buffalo, without a fair bit of hassle. (if you can do it at all)
BAK

Apr 3rd, 2000, 07:24 AM
Ariel

Here is a tip that might help you. See if United has a last minute fare deal. Air Canada does this both for flights originating in Toronto and ones from the U.S. to Canada. Check out www.aircanada.com and get registered for their weekly email. You have to leave on the Friday or Sat or that week and return the foloowing Monday or Tuesday. United might have the same thing. I always find traveling on a weekend more expensive and if I can stay over a Monday the price drops.

You might also want to contact a travel agent here in Toronto to quote a price - Canadian $'s might drop the cost. They could then FedEx you the ticket. I do this for my parents who live in Europe.

Also remember - if you are over 60 most airlines give a reduced fare - Air Canada does this for you and your companion. I just saved $200 Cnd per ticket Toronto to New York, as we were bringing my parents.

Apr 3rd, 2000, 12:21 PM
jon

If you book a few days in advance, AMTRAC has resonable rates from pretty much anywhere. However, if you can make it to Buffalo, just take the bus. It's only a couple of hours away.

Apr 3rd, 2000, 09:37 PM
ikebukero

Thanks for all the suggestions . . . I have now got a flight to Buffalo and will probably take the bus or train to Toronto.

I think it is about time I learnt how to drive on the right (wrong! ) side of the road to simplify things next time.