Reload this Page >

Toronto restaurants

Search

Toronto restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 03:18 PM
Kristin

Toronto restaurants

I'm traveling to Toronto next week with my boyfriend and am looking for restaurant recommendations (especially something romantic). All suggestions appreciated!

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 03:27 PM
elizabeth

Hi Kristin - following are a couple of previous messages I had posted to similar questions. You might want to search "Restaurants <BR>in the "Ontario" forum for more suggestions as well. <BR> <BR>Following are my suggestions (all are very near or <BR> downtown unless noted) <BR> <BR> 1) Rodneys Oyster House on Adelaide Street East - sit at the bar <BR> - eats lots of oysters (or other shellfish) and join in the party) <BR> <BR> 2) Champion House on Dundas Street West (One of Toronto's <BR> many Chinatowns) - very good szechuan - Peking Duck is always <BR> available and very good. <BR> <BR> 3) Hiro Sushi on King Street East - service is awful - sushi is <BR> sublime <BR> <BR> 4) Scaramouche on Benvenuto Place (just off Avenue Road - <BR> slightly away from downtown) Lovely view of the city - pricey but <BR> delicious - ask to be in Roberto's section <BR> <BR> 5) Grano - Yonge Street just south of Eglinton - North of <BR> downtown but readily accessible by subway - the owner is a <BR> charming gentleman from Tuscany (another Roberto) - lots of <BR> great antipasto you mix and match and the fried and grilled <BR> combo platter of calamari is great <BR> <BR> 6) Canoe - Top of the TD Centre. Specializes in 'Canadian' <BR> cuisine - lots of indigenous ingredients and a great view - pricey <BR> <BR> 7) Would agree with previous posting re Oro - on Elm Street near <BR> Eaton Centre <BR> <BR> 8) If you like Mexican there's a nice little restaurant on King Street <BR> West at Tecumseth Street (pronounced Te-Cum-See) called <BR> Jalapenos - authentic (whatever that means) Mexican cuisine - <BR> relatively inexpensive <BR> <BR>Zagat has launched <BR> a Toronto Guide with over 500 restaurant reviews. Their top 10 <BR> list is as follows: <BR> <BR> 1. North 44 - on Yonge North of Eglinton (so it's north of <BR> downtown but not a long way) I didn't mention this because, <BR> although the food is very good, I had horrible service there and <BR> am punishing them! <BR> <BR> 2. Scaramouche (as mentioned in my previous posting) <BR> <BR> 3. Canoe (as above) <BR> <BR> 4. Boba - on Avenue Road near Yorkville (upscale shopping <BR> district uptown) - haven't been there but have been to the owner's <BR> other restaurants and they're always good <BR> <BR> 5. Centro - near North 44 - Good Cal/Ital <BR> <BR> 6. Truffles - located in the Four Seasons on Avenue Road in <BR> Yorkville. I didn't mention it as you said you didn't want ultra fancy <BR> and it is (but it is exceptional) <BR> <BR> 7. Auberge du Pommier - too far North <BR> <BR> 8. Avalon - on Adelaide Street - haven't been but hear good <BR> things <BR> <BR> 9. Chiado - in the King Eddy Hotel - got a terrible review in the <BR> Globe and Mail this past weekend - take a pass <BR> <BR> 10. Mercer Street Grill - on Simcoe Street near the Dome <BR> Stadium - haven't eaten there, but the martinis are good <BR> <BR> Also, here are a couple of other suggestions: <BR> <BR> In the Royal Ontario Museum (in Yorkville and worth a visit) <BR> there's a restaurant open for lunch called Jamie Kennedy at the <BR> ROM. He's considered one of Canada's fine 'young' chefs. <BR> <BR> Also in Yorkville (actually kitty corner to the Royal Ontario <BR> Museum, behind the church) is an Italian restaurant called Prego <BR> - they have a great patio in the spring/summer. <BR> <BR> College Street near Clinton is full of Italian restaurants - Gian <BR> Carlo is excellent. <BR> <BR> There are a number of Thai restaurants in Toronto - Golden Thai <BR> is on Richmond Street East - all are good. <BR> <BR> Here's a wild card - if you feel like a simple meal look for "Swiss <BR> Chalet" (it's a chain - there's lots of them). <BR> Roasted chicken and great fries - a Canadian tradition! (although <BR> since you're coming from Atlanta I probably should avoid <BR> recommending BBQ/roasted meats!) <BR> Don't hesitate to e-mail for more info re hotels/etc.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 03:28 PM
elizabeth

Hi Kristin - following are a couple of previous messages I had posted to similar questions. You might want to search "Restaurants <BR>in the "Ontario" forum for more suggestions as well. <BR> <BR>Following are my suggestions (all are very near or <BR> downtown unless noted) <BR> <BR> 1) Rodneys Oyster House on Adelaide Street East - sit at the bar <BR> - eats lots of oysters (or other shellfish) and join in the party) <BR> <BR> 2) Champion House on Dundas Street West (One of Toronto's <BR> many Chinatowns) - very good szechuan - Peking Duck is always <BR> available and very good. <BR> <BR> 3) Hiro Sushi on King Street East - service is awful - sushi is <BR> sublime <BR> <BR> 4) Scaramouche on Benvenuto Place (just off Avenue Road - <BR> slightly away from downtown) Lovely view of the city - pricey but <BR> delicious - ask to be in Roberto's section <BR> <BR> 5) Grano - Yonge Street just south of Eglinton - North of <BR> downtown but readily accessible by subway - the owner is a <BR> charming gentleman from Tuscany (another Roberto) - lots of <BR> great antipasto you mix and match and the fried and grilled <BR> combo platter of calamari is great <BR> <BR> 6) Canoe - Top of the TD Centre. Specializes in 'Canadian' <BR> cuisine - lots of indigenous ingredients and a great view - pricey <BR> <BR> 7) Would agree with previous posting re Oro - on Elm Street near <BR> Eaton Centre <BR> <BR> 8) If you like Mexican there's a nice little restaurant on King Street <BR> West at Tecumseth Street (pronounced Te-Cum-See) called <BR> Jalapenos - authentic (whatever that means) Mexican cuisine - <BR> relatively inexpensive <BR> <BR>Zagat has launched <BR> a Toronto Guide with over 500 restaurant reviews. Their top 10 <BR> list is as follows: <BR> <BR> 1. North 44 - on Yonge North of Eglinton (so it's north of <BR> downtown but not a long way) I didn't mention this because, <BR> although the food is very good, I had horrible service there and <BR> am punishing them! <BR> <BR> 2. Scaramouche (as mentioned in my previous posting) <BR> <BR> 3. Canoe (as above) <BR> <BR> 4. Boba - on Avenue Road near Yorkville (upscale shopping <BR> district uptown) - haven't been there but have been to the owner's <BR> other restaurants and they're always good <BR> <BR> 5. Centro - near North 44 - Good Cal/Ital <BR> <BR> 6. Truffles - located in the Four Seasons on Avenue Road in <BR> Yorkville. I didn't mention it as you said you didn't want ultra fancy <BR> and it is (but it is exceptional) <BR> <BR> 7. Auberge du Pommier - too far North <BR> <BR> 8. Avalon - on Adelaide Street - haven't been but hear good <BR> things <BR> <BR> 9. Chiado - in the King Eddy Hotel - got a terrible review in the <BR> Globe and Mail this past weekend - take a pass <BR> <BR> 10. Mercer Street Grill - on Simcoe Street near the Dome <BR> Stadium - haven't eaten there, but the martinis are good <BR> <BR> Also, here are a couple of other suggestions: <BR> <BR> In the Royal Ontario Museum (in Yorkville and worth a visit) <BR> there's a restaurant open for lunch called Jamie Kennedy at the <BR> ROM. He's considered one of Canada's fine 'young' chefs. <BR> <BR> Also in Yorkville (actually kitty corner to the Royal Ontario <BR> Museum, behind the church) is an Italian restaurant called Prego <BR> - they have a great patio in the spring/summer. <BR> <BR> College Street near Clinton is full of Italian restaurants - Gian <BR> Carlo is excellent. <BR> <BR> There are a number of Thai restaurants in Toronto - Golden Thai <BR> is on Richmond Street East - all are good. <BR> <BR> Here's a wild card - if you feel like a simple meal look for "Swiss <BR> Chalet" (it's a chain - there's lots of them). <BR> Roasted chicken and great fries - a Canadian tradition! <BR> <BR> Don't hesitate to e-mail for more info re hotels/etc.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 06:48 PM
Donna

For romantic, our favorite was La Maquette. Purported to be the most romantic restaurant in Montreal. Nice enough for us! We also loved the Roof at the Park Plaza. Next door, the cocktail lounge has an outdoor deck with awesome views of the city below. For a romantic lunch, we loved the terrace at La Bodega. All these places had terrific food, ambience and service. If you enjoy Jazz, try Upstairs at the Senator. There's a modest cover charge. You'd swear you were in Paris in the 20's. Ambience and then some. There's also a wonderful piano bar at the top of the Manulife Building. One night we stumbled into a tiny place called N'Awlins with a fabulous pianist/vocalist - across from the Princess of Wales Theatre. Cozy and romantic there! There were more appealing places than we had time to visit.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 06:37 AM
Marilyn Mason

Hi Kristin: <BR> <BR>I live in Oakville, just outside of Toronto. There are many restaurants out this way that would fit the bill if you have a car - Jonathans, Paradisio, The Rude Native. <BR>In Toronto, there is a great little restaurant called Queen's Pasta at the Runnymede subway stop. Also if you enjoy Thai food check out we have many excellent restaurants. <BR>Licks burgers has great veggie and regular burgers. <BR>Any of the Ed's restaurants on King Street also offer good food in a unique atmosphere. <BR>Good luck! <BR>Marlilyn <BR>

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 07:13 AM
Elaine

Kristin, <BR> <BR>Visited last May and loved 'Zoom', located in financial district. Also dined at a restaurant where some meals were served in 'shinto boxes' and cannot recall name. A tiny restaurant w/great reputation. Think it may be one of the suggestions from previous poster. <BR>Enjoy your trip! <BR>Elaine

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 07:15 AM
Elaine

Kristin, <BR>Forgot about Boba...fabulous restaurant and the service was great! <BR>Elaine

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 09:57 AM
T.O. Gal

Most of the above noted restaurants are definitely "pricey". But that's the price of romance!!!! Anyhow - have fun!