Toronto, off-the-beaten-path

Aug 6th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Toronto, off-the-beaten-path

Hello again!

I'm staying in Mississauga for tne next 3-4 months and was hoping to explore different parts of Toronto, Mississauga, Oakville area. Looking for off-the-beaten-path ideas. Done the main touristy things in Toronto.....CN tower, museums, Toronto Island, Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the park. Not interested in the main museums either. I typically really enjoy walking about different neighbourhoods, people watching, seeing the homes, looking at little shops, hiking, outdoorsy things, nature/scenic routes/drives. Love parks, walks, concerts, food. Willing to travel upto 1 1/2 to 2 hours away from me.

Look forward to some interesting ideas.

gtrekker
Aug 6th, 2004, 06:35 PM

I'm just leaving on vacation, but maybe I can throw some ideas at you before I go! Check out www.whatsup for the different cities.
Walk along Lakeshore in Oakville and also in Burlington for big beautiful lakefront homes. It's a nice drive.
There are quite a few things going on at Spencer Smith Park on the lake in Burlington. Rib fest later this month.
Or even if nothing is going on, park at Spencer Smith Park and walk along the waterfront trail to the lift bridge (under Burlington Skyway.) Or park at confeceration Park fruther along in Hamilton and go for a long walk along the beachfront trail. It's a really nice walk. Stop and have a bite to eat or drink at Barangas on the Beach, a popular restaurant with a patio overlooking the water. OR go to Hutch's on the beach for hamburger or ice cream. NOt fancy, but a long time local favourite.
Go to Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington. Check their website. There are all different gardens. from Rose GArden to wetlands, winderness type walks.

Hike some of the Bruce Trail in the north Burlington area, or any area for that matter. Drive to the Forks of the Credit ( north of Brampton) and hike some of the Bruce trail up there. (Either do a search for Bruce Trail or Forks of the Credit) This area is really beautiful when the colours change near the end of Sept.

The fall fairs will be starting in small towns around southern ONtario. If you google, you may get a list of them. They are fun.
NOrth of Burlington, there are different Conservation areas with great hiking..... Crawford Lake (Which also has a reconstructed indian village), HIlton Falls is good for hiking. Search under Halton Region Conservation. Oh and Bronte Creek conservation area. Also search Hamilton Conservation areas. Webster falls is a good hike.

Ontario tourism used to put out a fall colours brochure,which gives great drives to see colours.

Stop in at the different tourist Boards in Oakville, Burlington, etc.

In Mississauga, wander around Streetville, downtown. and POrt Credit along the Lakeshore and marina. and also Bronte marina area in Oakville.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay in the area.

Aug 7th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Kodi,

Loads of thanks for your suggestions. Those are just the sort of ideas I was hoping for. And hope you have a good holiday.

Cheers,

gtrekker
Aug 7th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Many of Toronto's nicest parks and walking trails are hidden in the many ravines across the city. Get a City of Toronto Parks and Trails map and discover Toronto from a completely different perspective. You can follow these trails all over the city.

I grew up in the Annex, which is a nice neighbourhood for walking.
Aug 7th, 2004, 08:14 AM
BAK

If you are using public tranist, lioke perhaps the GO Train...

Union Station to Jane subway station on the Bloor - Danforth line.

Walk east on Bloor past Runnymede, in the Bloor West Village area, and then keep walking to High Park AVenue, and hHigh PArk itself. Turn right/south into High Park and walk through the park and out the other side, on the Queensway.

Take the Queen Streetcar back to Queen and Spadina, get out, walk through Queen Street West and back to the Union Station and the GO train back home.

Most of the people at St. Lawrence Market on Saturdays are not tourists.

It's an interesting walk along Yonge Street, from Davisville up to Eglinton and then up to Lawrence. Drift in and out of the sidestreets here, and in Bloor West Village.

Yonge, north from Lawrence is a very nice neighborhood with intereting stores, as is Bayview south of Eglinton, and Mount Pleasant south of Eglinton.

These are all areas I've lived in, and still go back to shop, or visit l0ocal restaurants.

BAK

BAK
Aug 8th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for these suggestions. I'm now really looking forward to doing some exploring.

Cheers,

gtrekker