Reload this Page >

Toronto in July - sights, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Donna Bolt

My husband and I are planning a few days in Toronto this July. We had planned on staying at the Radisson Admiral. Any views on this hotel? <BR>Also, we only have two days so what would be the "don't miss" things to do? <BR>Thanks!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:44 PM
Bonnie

The Radisson Admiral is a hotel on the waterfront. It is a very happening area during the summer. You can walk from there to the CN Tower(go for lunch and its special elevator and miss the crowd waiting for the elevator to the sightseeing deck). You can walk next door and see the Jays play if they're in town or just look into the Dome from the Hard Rock Cafe or the Skydome Hotel bar. I believe there is still a shuttle outside Queens Quay(pronounced Key) Terminal to the Yorkville area. That will take you to Bloor/Yorkville which is a great area for restaurants & shops. You are choosing to stay in an area that I might not put first time visitors unless they specifically want to be by the water. I hope the rate you're getting is a good one. Since you'll be by the water, you might want to take a harbour tour ($10 for an hour ride) or go across to the Islands on one of the ferries for $5 an adult. You can rent bikes there, walk, eat, stroll thru the area of homes, etc. There is a great Antique Market in the Harbourfront area. Also for a tour of the city take the hop-on, hop-off narrated tour bus so that you can get off at some points but stay on thru others. See Casa Loma. Go for a drink at Panorama in the Manulife Building.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:23 PM
garyt

Don't miss Mama Mia, Full Monty or any of the other Broadway productions...stop at Bamboo on Queen St W. for some patio Caribbean lunch and some boutique shopping...

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Donna Bolt

Thank you so much for the information. <BR> <BR>I have a follow-up for Bonnie please... why would you not put first time guests at this particular hotel and where would you suggest that we should stay? We thought the water might be nice but if not I would certainly want to change reservations. Thanks again for the response and the informative help! <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 04:37 PM
olivia

We had a long weekend last week in Toronto. You can do a lot in that time. Public transportation is easy and cabs are relatively inexpensive. The all day subway pass is especially a bargain for two on Sunday. Get tickets for Mamma Mia. Consider a walking tour with Shirley Lum of Taste of the World. Make reservations for dinner at Mildred Pierce and for brunch at the Art Gallery of Ontario. There are festivals throughout the summer which are worth checking out.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 07:24 AM
elizabeth

Hi Donna - I was waiting to see if Bonnie replied to clarify her comments - but nothing so far, so I'll throw in my two cents. I think Bonnie was referring more the area than the hotel (sorry Bonnie if that's not what you meant!). There's nothing wrong with either - a friend of mine always stays at the Radisson Admiral and really likes it. <BR><BR>Some people find the waterfront somewhat "disconnected" from the rest of Toronto due to an overhead expressway that, for some, discourages walking uptown. It's perfectly safe, just a little dusty and unattractive, but psychologically seems to be a barrier. Some find they get back to their hotel and don't feel like "venturing back out". There's no lack of things to do at night in the summer at the waterfront, but not a huge selection of restaurants. <BR><BR>Hope that helps!