Toronto-fish and chips

Jan 30th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Toronto-fish and chips

Grandkids insist! We're staying Yonge, Eglinton, Mt Pleasant area. If we have to have fish and chips I want REALLY good f & c served with ice cold beer. Any suggestions?
Jan 30th, 2006, 05:47 PM
BAK

I think beer might be a problem, close to you.

In the olden days (a decade ago) Penrose Fish and Chips, at Penrose and Mount Pleassant, a few blocks south of Eglington and Mount Pleasant, was great.

But no beer.

It's been a long time since I was there, but let's assume it still exists. Worth walking down to check out.

Over opn Yonge Street, north of Snowdon / Fairlawn (again, going back a while ) Bentley's had good fish and chips. Bentley's, last time I looked, was on the west side of Yonge (it was on the east even earlier)

But, if the grandkids would like a subway ride...

Kingsway Fish and Chips, a short walk west on Bloor Street West from the Royal York subway station.

If we were looking for fish and chips, we'd get in the car and drive 20 miles to eat there.

Fish and Chips restaurants in Toronto tend to close early, so plan carefully.

BAK
Jan 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Try Old Yorke Fish and Chips (96 Laird Drive, 416-696-9670). It is a full service pub-style restaurant that is very popular among families in that area.

The old timer in the area is Penrose Fish & Chips (600 Mt Pleasant, 416-483-6800) but is unlicensed and has a very small menu of halibut and chips, as well as chowder, coleslaw, bread and dessert. You'd have to have your beer at home
Jan 30th, 2006, 07:49 PM

Try the Granite brew pub at the corner of Mt Pleasant and Eglington. Burgers are very good.
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:49 AM

Hi Canuck;

We just revisited Penrose's last week whilst in Toronto and the wonderful fish and chips (halibut of course!!) are still served up by the original family. The place was packed full of diners as usual.
No liquor licence I'm afraid so no beer.
I love the old price lists on the wall.
It retains it's old feel and we love it.
Enjoy
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for suggestions. Does Kingsway have a licence and can you sit in? Sounds like a winner!
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:54 AM

Yes, Kingsway has a licence - I was there on Saturday.

Duckworth's on Danforth, just east of Main has very good fish 'n chips - I think they have a licence.

In high school, I was the dishwasher on Fridays at Bentley's a million years ago - old Mrs. B was still working there along with her son and son-in-law, Albert - this was in the days when Friday was no-meat day for Catholics and the line-ups were out the door. The place is long gone.
Jan 31st, 2006, 02:29 PM
BAK

Depending on the ages of the grandchildren, don't forget to get on the front car on the subway, so they can look out the window going through the tunnels.

Besiudes, the most concvenient exit from the Royal York subway station is the one near the front of the train.

Kingsway Fish & Chips has a great collection of teapots the children will find interesting, too.

BAK