Toronto Blues Clubs

Feb 17th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Toronto Blues Clubs

Last minute question... My boyfriend and I are leaving for Toronto in one week. We're looking for some "real" Toronto nightlife outside of the touristy places. We love Blues and we'd love to hear some live good blues music at a nice, out-of-the-way club somewhere around Toronto. We'll be there for four days - leaving Tuesday and coming home Friday (no weekend entertainment). We're staying at the Park Hyatt and do not have our own transportation (so we don't want it too far out of the way).
Thanks!
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:41 AM
PLJ

I've heard good things about a blues club called "Healey's".

www.jeffhealeys.com

The club is located in the Queen St. West and Bathurst area. From your hotel, it should be pretty easy to get to via public transit (subway from the Museum stop south on the University line to the Osgoode stop, then streetcar west along Queen St. W. to Bathurst St.).
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:03 AM

Walking distance from the Park Hyatt is Blues on Belair. Walk east on Bloor Street (same street as hotel) and go left (north) on Belair, which is a small side street that runs through the Yorkville area. The club is a block or two up on the right, lower level. I've never actually been inside, but in the summer it's open to the street and I have walked past it often (and usually stood around to take in the music for a while). Total walk under 5 minutes from your hotel.

Also heard good things about Healy's (mentioned above) which is fairly new, maybe a year or two.

For jazz, I'd recommend Montreal Bistro on Sherbourne. Probably an $8 cab ride from the hotel. Could also try the Rex on Queen St. West, which is easily accessible by subway/streetcar. Rex also has blues so when you're here pick up a NOW magazine (available free everywhere) and check the listings.
Feb 18th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the ideas. I logged onto the website for Healey's and it looked pretty cool.

I've read about Blues on Belair in Toronto.com - it seems to come highly recommended.
I really appreciate your suggestions and the tip about the "Now" Magazine - I'll be sure to pick one up.
Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:43 AM
BAK

"Out of the way" is hard to define.

Anyway, RD's restaurant has a sign outside saying it's a blues club. Everytime I've noticed music there, it's been some form of jazz.

I've not eatne3 there,have been in for a drink, and it's a nice, modern, upscale kind of a place, rather than a grungy musicians' hangout.

Featured food is ribs and similar fare, and I keep intending to try it.

It's on the corner of Duncan and Pearl. Duncan runs N-S from Queen Street West to King Street West, and Pearl is an alley-like street that runs east and west.

From the Hyatt, you could walk a little south on Avenue Road to get the University Avenue subway, and go south to the St. Andrew's station.

Walk west, either above ground or underground, to Duncan. It's two blocks from the St. Andrew's station. If you are walkingunderground, come to the surface just after you pass the long windows overlooking the pol beside Roy Thomson Hall. (this will make sense if you take the walk)

The RD's neighborhood is full of clubs, restaurants, etc. and will be very lively on the weekend. There were hundreds of people on the streets at 9 - 10 last night.

BAK