Toronto Ball Games & Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I will be traveling to Toronto end of the month with some friends, will be staying at the Grand Hotel, I think its on Jarvis? We have tickets to 3 RedSox/Blue Jays games, was wondering how easy it is to get from the hotel to the stadium using public transportation?
Second question was for recommendations for your favorite Italian, and Mexican restaurants in the city? Moderate pricing and close proximity to subway or trolley would probably be part of the consideration.

Thanks,
Dave
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Unfortunately Toronto is not really blessed with good Mexican restaurants. You might want to check chowhounds.com - there's always somebody complaining that we don't have good Mexican here, but there might be some recommendations.

Italian is something else. I know there will be recommendations for that.

I don't remember what the cross street is for the Grand. I'm sure there's a bus down Jarvis, but you could also walk west to Yonge Street and take the subway down to the King Street station. You can then transfer to the King streetcar going westbound, and get off at Peter Street. You'll see the stadium if you look south. It's an easy trip by TTC.
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:28 AM

There isn't a bus on Jarvis - The Grand is closest to Dundas Street West so you'd walk south on Jarvis and walk over to Yonge Street to the subway stop called Dundas and go south to Union, go upstairs to Front Street and walk west on Front from Union to the ball park or if you're feeling energetic, it isn't really that far, you could walk the whole way. Or you could stay the streetcar from the corner of Dundas and Jarvis to Yonge, be sure and ask for a transfer (free with fare paid), or take the streetcar to University Avenue and transfer there to the University line at St. Patrick stop and go south.

We have two sections of the city that are deemed Italian - Little Italy on College Street, west of Bathurst Street and Via Corsa on St. Clair Avenue West. But there are Italian restaurants EVERYWHERE.

www.ttc.ca for transit info and www.toronto.com for Toronto
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:33 AM

I meant to type "or you could TAKE the streetcar" .....
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM

The Grand has some sort of shuttle system for going downtown -you might want to investigate that.

I'm not certain I would be totally comfortable taking public transit to the Jarvis and Dundas area any later than maybe 1030 or 11 pm. Actually I would be tempted to take a cab back to the hotel.

Jerry
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Go hang out in Little Italy - (College Street, west of Bathurst Street between Euclid Avenue and Shaw Street) has become the hippest place in Toronto. New ethnic restaurants open weekly, bars and coffeehouses are packed into the night, and every corner holds fashionable cafés and diners to match. The people-watching along Little Italy's College Street on a summer night competes with the busy scene indoors at restaurants, bars and clubs. Have dinner at Bar Italia (582 College Street, +14165353621, www.bar-italia.ca).
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:24 AM
PLJ

With regard to Mexican restaurants... I had dinner at Jalapeno about a year ago and really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is casual, the food tasty, and the service good. I wouldn't hesitate to return. Jalapeno was recommended to me by a friend who loves Mexican food. In her opinion, its the best Mexican restaurant in Toronto.

http://www.jalapeno.ca/
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:50 AM
BAK

After a game...

Walk north on John Street or Blue Jay Way (both go north from the ball park) to King Street West.

look left or right (depending on John or Blkue Jay Way) and you'll see a block of restaurants across fromt he holiday Inn and a parking lot.

Kit Kat at the est end of the block is an excellent, fun, Italian restaurant. But there are other Italian restaurants in the neighborhood.

After supper, walk up to Queen Street and catch the streetcar tyo Jarvis and walk up a couple of blocks to the hotel.

Or grab a cab to the hotel from the restaurant. Won't cost much more than two transit tickets anyway.

BAK
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 02:49 PM

I highly recommend Alice Fazooli's Italian Grill. It's at 294 Adelaide St. West at John Street. Utterly scrumptious!

Safe Travels,
BC
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Warning... this is a 3 year old post with an ADVERTISEMENT as an answer... Don't click on that link!!!
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Thanks, garyt22. I've reported this to the Fodors editors and with any luck, they're remove that particular post from this thread and ban the person who posted it.

BC