Reload this Page >

Toronto bistro & wine

Search

Toronto bistro & wine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:58 AM
JoAnne

Toronto bistro & wine

We will be in Toronto for a long weekend the end of May. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza and looking for nice bistro/rest. that have good wine selections, nice ambiance, and decent food. I don't know if you can dine outdoors in May, but if you can a place with outside seating would be great. We are most interested in restaurants with great wine that aren't stuffy. Just a place to hang out and have a glass of wine and a light meal.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Brian Kilgore

Toronto weather is very weird this year. People were out in shorts at restaurant patios a week ago. then it snowed, and it may snow again tonight.<BR><BR>There are a dozen good restaurants, most with patios, a couple of blocks from the Crowne Plaza. Walk one block west, past the front ofthe convention center, to John Street. Walk two blocks north, past Wellington to King Street West. Turn left, and take your choice, or walk two more blocks north to Club Lucky, which has a west facing (so it will be as warnm as it can get on a cool day)patio.<BR><BR>Outdoor lunches are a better bet than outdoor dinners.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Susan

I ate at Biff's the other evening - it's quite a nice bistro on Front Street, just west of Yonge, so it wouldn't be that far from your hotel. <BR><BR>The Danforth, which would be a subway ride, has a lot of restaurants with patios. Many of them are Greek, but others as well. <BR><BR>Brian's comments are totally correct. We had hot weather a week and a 1/2 ago and now it's cool. Not so bad when it's sunny, but we seem to get more clouds than sun. Mind you, by the end of May, it should be good.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Bonnie

I agree with the suggestion to head to King Street. THere is a charming courtyard in the back of Marcel's Bistro that is wonderful. Also consider restaurants that are in the Queen Quay Terminal (Harbourfront). Great views of the lake). In the other direction is Yorkville- lots of cafes.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Susan

Le Select Bistro on Queen St. W.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Gayle

I agree with Le Select on Queen Street. We prefer it for brunch. They have a nice patio. We also really enjoy Arlequin, on Avenue Road which is a very traditional bistro. Though it does not have a patio, the food is wonderful and it's charming. Another favorite is Gamelle on College St, a tiny, 10 table jewelled gem with a lovely menu and excellent wine list. I'd also recommend Trattoria Giancarlo on Clinton which though not a bistro, is a fabulous Italian restaurant with a gorgeous large patio right in the heart of Little Italy. (more Portuguese now). And lastly, I agree with The Dnforth for wonderful Greek food, outdoor patios and strolling. Our favorite is Pan, just east of Logan on the north side of the street.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:06 AM
garyt

JoAnne - There is no better place in Toronto for your bistro dream than Yorkville... a short cab ride from the hotel puts you in the middle of the swank shopping district that is lined with a multitude of food choices, clubs, and after-dinner window shopping.<BR> <BR> You might consider Remy's as your choice, but most of the street is lined with quality food and good wine...

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Lee

I want to add my vote for Le Select Bistro on Queen Street West: we were there last May, with friends from Boston, professional restauranteurs so we were a little nervous and not sure how well received our selection might be. They loved it and enjoyed eating outside where the peolple-watching is great, but as Brian Kilgore said, its been weird weather-wise so don't count on the outdoors bit.The steak-frites is wonderful!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Bram

JoAnne,<BR><BR>I concur with all of Gayles' recomendations especially Giancarlo. There is actually no wine list, you just pick the bottle(s) you want off the wall and the and the waiter comes by and opens it for you. Tornto Life rated the patio as one of the best in Toronto.<BR>Enjoy,<BR><BR>Bram<BR><BR><BR>