Toronto and Montreal Hotels

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Melissa

Toronto and Montreal Hotels

Hi, I am planning a trip to Toronto and Montreal the last week of April. My travel agent has us staying at the Metropolitan in Toronto and the Le Cantlie Suites in Montreal. Has anyone stayed here? Also, what is the train ride like from Toronto to Montreal? What are the good, not too expensive restaurants near the Metropolitan?
Thanks, Melissa-Orlando, Fl

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 03:00 PM
John K

Hi Melissa,
Don't stay at the Metropolitan Hotel in Toronto. It's awful. Check out the "rants and raves" hotel section here on the fodors website for more opinions. There are many other very nice hotels in Toronto in the same price range. The Park Hyatt, Intercontinental and Royal York are all well regarded. Have a good trip.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Bonnie

Agree with the previous poster. I would put visitors in the Yorkville/Bloor area of Toronto. Try the Marriott Yorkville, the Park Hyatt is fabulous, or downtown stay at the Sheraton or Marriott Eaton Centre. The train ride is fast and convenient. You don't have to take a 1st class ticket to be comfortable. They will come thru with sandwiches and refreshments (there is a charge of course). Make sure you take an express train. I think the hotel in Montreal that you're staying in is a good one. Is it on Sherbrooke St. W.?

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Susan

You don't have to go first class on the train, but it really is nice to do so. I did it several times after September 11 when I had to go to Montreal on business. There is a 5 PM departure which gets into Montreal at 9 PM. With 1st class, you get drinks, nice dinner, wine, etc. - really makes the journey very nice! The train station in Montreal is very conveniently located, right below the Queen Elizabeth Hotel.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Melissa

Thank you very much. I just found out that the Cirque Du Soleil has a new show opening while I'm there. I'm so excited!!!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Elaine

Melissa, I am a Torontonian, and here are my opinions, for what they are worth.

The Metroplitan offers terrible value in terms of space. The rooms are miniscule. The restaurants are excellent, however, especially the Japanese restaurant, (which is on the expensive side).

What is your price range? The Four Seasons, the Park Hyatt, and the Intercontinental are superbly located, and all are absolutely first rate hotels. I believe they are Torontoss finest.

The Park Hyatt is an older hotel, and underwent a multi-million dollar renovation about a year and a half ago. The other two, while not brand new, (the Intercontinental being the newer one), are beautifully maintained with modern facilities as well. You can't go wrong with any of them if they are within your budget.

Since you are traveling from the U.S., our money will be like Monopoly money to you. The exchange will make the rates extrememly attractive.

The Crowne Plaza is a convention hotel, so not as luxurious in feeling, but well located.

The Royal York is a very old hotel, (known as the Grande Dame of hotels) with a lot of old world character, and small but charming rooms. It is also well located, but I prefer the Bloor/Yorkville area.

My pick would be the Four Seasons, the Intercontinental, and the Park Hyatt....probably in that order, (but running neck to neck), for luxury, service, and location .

Post again when you have chosen a hotel, and I'll try to remember to check the site and recommend restaurants for you that are close by. What are your tastes, and how long are you staying in Toronto? What is your age range?

If you like, you may e-mail me directly with any questions.

By the way, the end of April can still be quite cold, especially to someone from Florida, so bring appropriate clothing.

Enjoy your stay.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Brian Kilgore

Sometimes I'd like to be a libel lawyer, and get rich from the messages posted here.

The Metropolitan is not awful. It's a fine hotel, and if you are committed to the reservation, you'll be just fine.

And the rate may make the hotel attractive.

That said, there are places I'd rather stay, many of which are mentioned already.

Restaurants: medium expensive but very, very good is Oro, on Elm Street, near Bay, which is five minutes walk from the hotel. Less expensive, still good but not in the same gourmet class is Il Fornello, also on Elm Street. Best food for the lowest price, but very simple decor, is any branch of the Swiss Chalet chain. The nearest is on Yonge Street, near ELm, again a couple of blocks from the hotel.

In the Eaton Centre, (two minutes walk away) Mr. Greenjean's is mid-priced, casual, and good. Noisy, but you may not care.

Best medium priced steak is Le Bifteque, in the Sheraton Centre Hotel, on the other side of the open square in front of the City Hall. The city hall is at the end of the block in which the Metropolitan is located.

For 15 good restaurants, walk to the entertainment district. Walk south across the City Hall square to Queen Street West, turn right (west) and walk a few blocks to John Street. Walk south on John and on your walk you'll pass everything from Hooters (try the wings) to Avalon (bring lots of money) at Adelaide and John until you arrive at King Street West. In the block stretching west from King and John are many more good to excellent mid-priced to semi-expensive restaurants.

As for the train: I used to do this once a week for two years. If money does not matter, first class is sort of nice. If money does matter, try to make your reservation about a week in advance, and get an extra significant discount (might be around 40 percent)

I think first class is worth the difference if you don't have the economy discount, and not worth the difference if you do get the lower fare.

Discounts depend on the train you are taking, so if, for instance, there's no discount seat left on the 10 o'clock train, you might save by waiting and getting a seat on the 11 o'clock train.

The food in the coach cars is not very good and when I was taking this train, it ran out, so my suggestion is that you bring your own sandwiches or salads with you. (Food ran out to and from Montreal a few weeks ago, according to my wife) There are several OK places to buy food to take with you in the Toronto rail station. If you come back from Montreal on the train, there's a vast array of excellent places to get snacks to bring with you in the Montreal station.

Train trips take from 4 to 5.5 hours, depending on how many stops you make, but if you have a good book it doesn't matter. Pick your train based on when you want to leave and arrive; it's not worth rushing to the train early in the morning just to save half an hour on the ride.

Scenery is equally OK on either side of the train. Nothing spectacular, but it's not really boring, either.

There's an overnight train; think about this if you don't care about the scenary.

Sorry, but I can't comment on the Montreal hotel.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:33 AM
dan

Re.: Montreal Hotel. The one you mentioned is more like an Apartment Hotel. It is OK. Check out a new one . I think they call it Hotel GAULT in old Montreal. Might get a good deal. It also is in Old Montreal where you want to stay. !!!

For Restaurants make a reservation at "La Goelette" in Montréal. (On St. Lawrence Boulevard) Family restaurant ! Best value ! They got seafood & Lobster of the best quality at a very very reasonable price. They also got Italian & french.

The train ride is an exellent idea !

cheers

Dan